Nano skimmer filter

Ogi

Ok are there any hob options for a 12 gallon tank
Where it would skim, fit a bag of chemiclean in a chamber and some seachem bio media? Has to be under $200, please I know you guys are the best at solving complicated problems :)

Ogi

Skimming is a must because i have two sea horses in that tank, they are basically nitrate factories, I guess I'd also consider a hob filter combined with a seperate skimmer, but If I could kill two birds with one stone...

Scott07

You can run a small skimmer, such as the Aquaticlife mini protein skimmer, inside of an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter. This leaves you a good portion of the filter (maybe 2/3) to run media bags, filter floss, whatever in, and you only have the one piece of equipment hanging on your tank. Depending on which mini skimmer you use, you may have to rig a platform or baffle to get the water level in the filter to the ideal height for the skimmer... but its not very hard. Ive been using this setup on a 20 with success for over 3 years now. Its far from perfect, but other than using a sump, I haven't come up with any better solution. If you're interested let me know and i can provide pictures of how i have mine setup.

Ogi

I am extremely interested ! Love getting these great ideas, was getting ready to spend $250 + shipping on a reef octopus hob 400.

Scott07

Here's a shot I just took a minute ago. Please pardon the salt creep and other mess... this tank is getting ready to come down in a couple of weeks. You can see a bag of carbon I have free floating in there w/ the skimmer. The plastic thing you can see at the front of the filter's water return is a baffle I created out of a scrap piece of clear aquarium trim. It keeps the water level in the filter right where it needs to be for the skimmer. I think the HOB reef octopus you're looking at is probably going to do a better job of skimming than my setup.. just because it's a bigger skimmer that'll get more water flow through it. However on such a small tank.... the ability to combine two pieces of equipment into one is something I've always appreciated, and this setup did what I feel like was a good job on my 20. It's basically a HOB sump... you can see I've got my heater in there as well, and have run filter floss from time to time too.

Attachments

• HOB Filter & Skimmer.jpg
    HOB Filter & Skimmer.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0

AlSimmons

For that size tank I would probably go the no skimmer route too. Don't get me wrong though, a skimmer is definitely a great tool to have, but even those larger tanks we see can be achieved without one in the right HANDS. ;)

CrayolaViolence

I *really* like the Eshopps nano. I was skeptical about it's ability to skim, seeing it is so much smaller than others rated for the same amount. But after having it on my leopard puffer tank (20g) I am amazed and impressed. This little bugger can skim like no tomorrow. I've since bought a few more for my smaller tanks. Anywhere from 50-100 bucks new on eBay. And they skim like champs. Did GREAT on my 40 gallon QT tank (only one med sized fish though) and really helped with the water quality and allowing for fewer water changes. I have since purchased a couple of larger eshopps to use on my future look down tank.

Scott07

I ended up getting the aquaclear :)

Cool! There are lots of really neat modifications you can do with an Aquaclear. FWIW 3/4 inch PVC fittings fit right on the intake tube.... so with just a little creativity, you can pretty easily rig up a surface skimmer attachment.

Sawen

I have a Tunze 9001 skimmer in an aquaclear 110 filter. Lots of room to add GFO, carbon, floss and purigen too. My tank is 25 gallons.