NARC meeting -- Feb. 24th at CRA

Mariner

Hey everyone,
I visited Coral Reef Aquatics this afternoon and worked out the details on our February NARC meeting. It's shaping up to be an EXCELLENT meeting!
Vendors have already donated some nice items for door prizes; we'll have drawings for
-- A Coralife Superskimmer 65
-- A UV Sterilizer
-- A couple of Hydrometers
Johnny is expecting to hear from other vendors before the meeting, so there should be several more goodies to add to the mix. :D

Hear are the details:
PLACE: Coral Reef Aquatics near Athens (see their Website for location and directions -- Coralreefaquatics.com)
TIME: 10:30 a.m. till Noon, Saturday, February 24th (you can come as early as 10:00 if you'd like)
AGENDA:
10:00--10:45 meet/greet/frag trade
10:45 -- drawings begin and continue periodically throughout the meeting; you must be present to win :)
11:00--11:15 group discussion on feeding corals -- recommended food types, methods of feeding, etc.
11:15--Noon tank ogling, visiting, eating

Someone had mentioned having a used equipment trade/sale as a theme for this meeting, but Johnny would rather that we wait till the weather warms up and he can set up tables outside for the used equipment.
As usual, frag trading is encouraged. If you have some frags that you'd like to bring to trade, feel free to post them on this thread.
Also as usual, if you want to bring food or soft drinks, bring 'em. We'll do our best to see that nothing goes to waste.
Mariner

I got the following note from Beaslbob and thought I'd pass it on:
I am currently "rebalancing" my 55g to discourage hair/slime from my display into the fuge. IE I lowered the lighting. So nitrates and phosphates have bumped up. But if they get down to the normal 0 values, I will have chaeto for the meeting. In any event I do have some caulpera profilera I can bring.
I also still have the usual, epsom salts, calcium chloride, Magnesium chloride, crushed oyster shells, in case anyone is interested.
Bob will check this thread, so if you want some of his stuff, respond here.
Mariner

Hi Bob - If the calcium chloride is about the same thing as Kent's Turbo Calcium I'd like some please.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9258813#post9258813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NicoleC
I would come, but I'll be busy with the new house that day. Catch you next time!
Nicole,
Ahhh, I was hoping you would get to come. I was looking forward to meeting you. I know you will have a world of information to share with us. From all that I have read here on RC we can learn a lot from you. Tomoko and some others here are so helpful, another voice always helps :) We have a GREAT group of reefers here. I promise you WILL like us...lol ... Any way, Next time!

Thanks, Mary. I gotta clean a house, and lay a new floor in the bedroom, and all sorts of stuff that weekend. I was not happy to hear the date of the meeting!

Maybe once the place gets all set up I can donate a location for a frag swap. It's in Hartselle, so close to the central AL folks, too, and there is lots of room. Or do a presentation on fish breeding or coral propagation or QT/disease treatment at a future meeting -- if you guys do presentations at meetings? I don't know what the routine is around here, but I'd like to contribute and meet the locals.

I also usually have handfuls of Botrocladia leptapoda, which is a great reef algae. Not invasive, very attractive.

And if anyone knows a reputable fencing guy or storm shelter contractor... I'm looking! I need a guy that can uncap and get a well up and running again as well.

All of the above sounds good! We at times do have presentations. I have never heard of the type of algae that you mentioned, but it does sound interesting. The not invasive means a lot.

Good luck on the floor! I know just moving here you must be swamped. See you next time though :)

No help here on a fencing guy....

I'll have a few heads of xenia to bring, one is already spoken for.
I've also got a small frag of orange Montipora capricornus and a small frag of orange Montipora digitata that I'll bring if there's interest.
Mariner

this may sound stupid but how do you join NARC
I am fairly new to the hobby and would like to attend
is that ok

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9268038#post9268038 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mnewsom
this may sound stupid but how do you join NARC
I am fairly new to the hobby and would like to attend
is that ok
Yes, please come! The meetings are open to anyone who is interested in Reef Keeping. NARC is a pretty informal club -- no officers, no dues. We do have a website, www.northalabamareefclub.com where you can sign up for "official" membership.
HTH,
Mariner

I'm hoping to attend unless i get roped into being on call this weekend. I also plan to bring some drinks and maybe some cookies or brownies depending how my week pans out. Its a sick season, so its been a busy past week.

I plan on bringing a few frags that I can trade or give away if you are new and don't have anything to trade. If anyone has a few colonista or stomatella snails, I would be interested. I also need to get some chaeto as mine melted a few months ago and I only have caulerpa now. I can bring grape caulerpa and or razor caulerpa if anyone desires some.

P1010014.jpg

I'm going to frag this leather sometime this week hopefully
P1010018.jpg

I've got a frag of this monti cap. Not the one in the picture, but from the same mother colony.
P1010017.jpg

And a candy cane from this same colony
P1010023.jpg

My husband and I plan to come to the meeting, our first. We will bring some chaeto if anybody needs it. He just removed it from the fuge, facing the window, so it has done really well. We are in the process of setting up a 190 gal, but it will reproduce agin by the time we need it. Also, I have a couple of zoa frags. Mine are mostly green/yellow. Does anybody have another color to trade? I also have brown/orange, but not yet big enough to frag. We met some of you at the frag swap in Nashville, and we are looking forward to Saturday. We will be coming from Scottsboro.

Lisa

Back