Naso Tang in a 75?

BigBlueTang

Hi guys!
I just saw a beautiful Naso Tang in my lfs, and they said it would thrive in my 75, and a couple of online sources said it would too.. What do you guys think?

If the LFS honestly told you that, I'd never go back.

Naso tangs get close to 2 feet long and would be miserable in a 75. Imagine if you were thrown in the segregation unit of a prison and spent 24 hours a day in a 6x8 cell....? It's essentially the same. It's length would eventually be the width of your tank.

The fact that they wouldn't educate you on the care needs of one of their animals just so they can make a sale is utterly ridiculous.

Naso tangs get close to 2 feet long and would be miserable in a 75. Imagine if you were thrown in the segregation unit of a prison and spent 24 hours a day in a 6x8 cell....? It's essentially the same. It's length would eventually be the width of your tank.

The fact that they wouldn't educate you on the care needs of one of their animals just so they can make a sale is utterly ridiculous.

I totally agree. I would certainly never listen to any advice from that source ever again.

I have a 180 and would love to have a Naso. It is my dream fish. I tell myself that I'll get it small and after it outgrows my 180, I will sell or trade. After over a decade I still have not gotten one because I know it will not be happy. I can't bring myself to do something that I know in my heart is not right for the animal.
Some day I hope to have a 375, then I might consider it more seriously. As for a 75 gal. . .I wouldn't do it no matter what my lfs says.

Its actually a pretty good store, but I see where you are coming from. However that beast was at least 7" and was 350$ so I really wasn't ready to buy it. I was entertaining the idea, but thank you so much for taking that away. (That wasn't sarcastic btw, I really do want the best for my fish)

Its actually a pretty good store, but I see where you are coming from. However that beast was at least 7" and was 350$ so I really wasn't ready to buy it. I was entertaining the idea, but thank you so much for taking that away. (That wasn't sarcastic btw, I really do want the best for my fish)
Oh yeah, you were asking about a yellow tang too which would have been pushing it. Didn't you ask them( your LFS) to get you a Kole tang? I would stick with just that one and no other tangs in the 75. The Kole tang is a great fish.

If you want some color check out the dwarf angels and reef safe wrasses whitch both are usually pretty hardy and very beautiful. Also don't count out some of the smaller fish. Royal Grammas are very striking and eye catching. Blennies are always fun to watch.

I've got a yellow tang in my 70 gal, along with a starry blenny, two ocellaris clowns and a six line wrasse. It can be done, so long as you don't over feed. My tank is also long though so the tang (my son named him Gilbert) plenty of room to swim.

I highly recommend starry blennies especially for beginners. They have tons of personality and they are total pigs when it comes to food, which makes it easier on newbies. I hand feed mine.

Royal grammas are also a great choice as said prior.

Agree with everyone said here. The idea of a blonde nano was enticing but I too would not try even with my 180. Yellow tang would be alright in a 75 for a while until it gets to 5"+ then hopefully you have a plan together to upgrade.

I don't know what their idea of "thrive" is haha, but yeah definitely no long body tangs. Kole, Yellow, something around that size can work out.

Back