Nassarius eating Stomatella

Zalman

Title says it all. Is this normal? I was watching my tank last night and I saw one nassarius just start running over and eating baby stomatellas. Not that I worry too much since I have thousands of them all over. Just curious if this happens to anyone else or if this nassarius is going rogue and will be eating all of my snails?

My stupid Nassarius snails attacked my Dwarf Lion(fish) till I finally took them out.. One also killed a Peppermint Shrimp. Try spot feeding them, to see if they quit eating your snails.

is the shell black or the flesh black? i have a small one that has a black shell but the flesh is cream colored.

There are quite a few species of Nassarius that will kill other animals if the mood strikes them. They are pretty much all capable of it, but they usually have to have some cue to cause them to attack. Some are more easily motivated than others :) Stomatellas often seem to be the objects of unprovoked attacks, maybe because they are easy to kill.

Cheers,

Don

This one was all white. I will leave him be for now. I could sell stomatellas by the pound just by cleaning my glass. My nass obviously just wants to help me clean my tank haha

I have multiple species of nassarius snails in my 2 tanks. Vibex in both, which never attack anything not dying or dead already.

Then a brown nassarius thats huge, never seen it eat other snails or anything. Lives in my mantis tank.

Then some white/tan ones about the same size as the brown. 1.5" or so. they DO kill my astrea if they get em. They also live in my mantis tank

Title says it all. Is this normal? I was watching my tank last night and I saw one nassarius just start running over and eating baby stomatellas. Not that I worry too much since I have thousands of them all over. Just curious if this happens to anyone else or if this nassarius is going rogue and will be eating all of my snails?

This has happened to before. I used to have quite a few of these stomatellas that would spawn regularly and tons of smaller offspring. I've seen what was obviously and orchestrated hit on one of my largest stomastellas. The nassarius were too fast and ate the little guy alive. It was actually kind of sad. I currently have zero stomatella in my sytem. I've also seen the aftermath of these nassarius killing scarlet hermits right after a molt, when the exo-skeleton is still soft, with and empty shell and a bunch of that slime with substrate stuck to it that the snails leave behind. From what I've gathered and seen these are definitely opportunistic feeders.

Yes. I have Tonga nass. More than once, Ive grabbed a stomatella from th sump and dropped him the DT, only to watch a nass surface, hunt it and eat it within minutes...crazy huh.

Back