Nassplosion!

Lyvric

Ok, so there are a lot of survived baby nass snails all over my tank.

Should I keep them? Are too many a bad thing?

Are you 100% sure they are indeed nassarius snails? You might want to post a picture here or in the Other Invertebrates forum to get a positive ID just in case.

Here's a picture of one of the larger Tongan nassarius snails laying eggs. As far as I know, there's a planktonic stage, which means a low survival rate in the reef tanks we all keep. I might be way of base here, but that's just what came to mind first.

nassariuseggs.jpg

Are you 100% sure they are indeed nassarius snails? You might want to post a picture here or in the Other Invertebrates forum to get a positive ID just in case.

yeah, might wanna be positive...
my Nassarius don't graze on the glass, and I've never seen any eggs
but I have a very prolific imposter that does...
is the shell plain or does it have a zig zag pattern on it?

My Nassaurius will occasionally climb the glass, usually when lights out. Not often, but every now and again. Probably looking for greener pasteurs!

Trade them to your lfs or donate them to your local reef club. They will not go unappreciated. There is, however, a rapidly multiplying small snail, the strombus grazer, that often hitchhikes in (I had to ask my lfs for some after losing my last batch: great little cleaners, but usually free from your lfs. They also have a 'trunk.' The shell is subtly different, and they never reach half an inch in size.) The problem with too many Nassarius is all of them starving.
I just had some breed, and the eggs may have hatched---but for the record, I've been at this decades, and have never had an actually valuable species multiply.

Trade them to your lfs or donate them to your local reef club. They will not go unappreciated. There is, however, a rapidly multiplying small snail, the strombus grazer, that often hitchhikes in (I had to ask my lfs for some after losing my last batch: great little cleaners, but usually free from your lfs. They also have a 'trunk.' The shell is subtly different, and they never reach half an inch in size.) The problem with too many Nassarius is all of them starving.
I just had some breed, and the eggs may have hatched---but for the record, I've been at this decades, and have never had an actually valuable species multiply.

Back