Natural Sea Water

I would have to collect it myself to fully trust the water. I can't believe people are collecting ocean water & selling it. When money is envolved people get shady. Who knows where they are collecting it from. That's my 2 cents...

Let me know if you decide to go out n collect some yourself.

hmmm direct sea water around here? Dunno. when I was in San Diego there was spigot off the Scripps Pier. that was wonderful. free saltwater from the pacific ocean

I would have to collect it myself to fully trust the water. I can't believe people are collecting ocean water & selling it. When money is envolved people get shady. Who knows where they are collecting it from. That's my 2 cents...

Let me know if you decide to go out n collect some yourself.

I used the water from the 3 locations I posted for years with no ill effects or problems ever.

hmmm direct sea water around here? Dunno. when I was in San Diego there was spigot off the Scripps Pier. that was wonderful. free saltwater from the pacific ocean

That's why I asked, a friend of mine who lives in southern Cali, gets his from a spigot, that collects sea water from a 1/2 mile out. Must be the same location. I don't want to pay for it, I was wondering if there is a location in the bay that's free for the taking.

I thought our water was a lower sg than needed for reef tanks.. Like 1.021 or something like that.. I'm sure it would be fine for a fowler though.. I've never tried it that's just what was always told to me..

I thought our water was a lower sg than needed for reef tanks.. Like 1.021 or something like that.. I'm sure it would be fine for a fowler though.. I've never tried it that's just what was always told to me..

Most of the times, it's between 1.025-1.026. During the rainy season, its typically gets as low as 1.023.

wow never thought of using our own sea water. I can only imagine it to be fully of contaminants.

wow never thought of using our own sea water. I can only imagine it to be fully of contaminants.

That's what I was thinking, full of contaminants. You would think you would have to have a sweet collection spot to start with. & unless you collect it yourself, how can you be 100% sure where it came from.

I've seen your tank too Rob, I would hate to see it go down hill from some wack ocean water.

Patiently waiting for a green Yuma :fun4:

You can collect water anywhere outside of the Bay and it will be fine. If you go at high high tide it is pushing the Bay water "in". Baker Beach and Ocean Beach are good spots. Running it through a fine filter sock is a good idea.

The water in Pacifica is even better, and the salinity is fine to use on a reef tank. It is not that much lower around here, maybe 1.023 or so. Obviously don't go collect after a big storm or anything, otherwise should be fine.

Back