Natural vs RODI Saltwater

NoxAeternus

Hello all,

I recently moved from Chicago to San Diego. I'm hearing that there is a research institution that provides filtered saltwater to the public.

Previously I was using RODI saltwater from my LFS.

What are the pros/cons of using natural vs synthetic? Should I be safe using this natural filtered seawater? I'm mostly concerned with adding harmful contaminants to my tank.

Thanks

Here's the deal. NSW is a gamble. RO/DI water is 100% controllable.

Lots of people use natural sea water, and if it's being provided by a reputable organization, then it's probably safer than collecting it yourself. However, the potential for variations would make me nervous - there's really no way to be 100% sure you're testing for or removing everything that could potentially be problematic, without destroying the water's makeup and starting from scratch.

If you're talking about Scripps water in San Diego, it's one of the best NSW available. A lot of people from LA County make the drive down there just to get barrels of Scripps water for their tanks.

You are speaking of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography in La Jolla. When I lived in SD I got my water from there to do the original fill, and then used RO/DI to make up replacement. It's easier to make the water yourself than to use Scripps' water. Those trips get to be a burden.

It must be the Scripps Pier then. After google mapping it, it's pretty close, so it doesn't seem like that would be much of a burden to drive there.

Since it appears that this water supply is reputable, does natural sea water provide benefits that RO/DI does not?

Back