Need a heater

LOTUS50GOD

After switching to LED lights from MH, I found that I need a heater.

What heater do you recommend for 400 gallons.
I have an APEX to control the heater

I like Jager heaters....glass is twice as thick as other glass heaters. I'd go with two 300W heaters as a minimum.....and this is assuming the tank/sump are in a heated (temperature stable) part of the house.

I'd get the Eheim Jagers, or JBJ Tru-Temp. I use the latter with their controller connected to my Apex controller. I would have gotten the Eheim Jager, but their heaters are longer than other heaters, and wouldn't fit in my sump, and I didn't want to place them in my overflow.

500 watts is not enough for 400 gallons unless your ambient temperature varies very little.

+1. Depending on the temperature differential between your tank and ambient, you may need much more than 500W. In the winter I need about 1,000W on my 225 gallon, but that's because I don't turn on the house heater and there's a 20 degree difference between the ambient and tank's set point.

You typically need at least 3W per gallon of water. I would grab a JBJ tru temp 1000W system and start from there. If it's not enough then grab another one.

Back