Need a Little Help With New Salifert Ca Test Kit

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Recently got a Salifert Ca test kit that is the new version. Instructions state:

1. Add 2 mL water to test vial - ✅
2. Add 1 spoon Ca-1✅
3. Put plastic tip on syringe✅
4. Draw 1 mL Ca-2 into syringe✅
5. Add 0.6 of the reagent all at once (lower end of piston at 0.4 mL mark). Swirl for 5 seconds. The color should now be pink.

Step 5 is where I’m having the issue. The color does not turn pink. After adding (a drop at a time and swirling) the remaining Ca-2, the color remains blue the whole time.

Any suggestions? @Habib

Recently got a Salifert Ca test kit that is the new version. Instructions state:

1. Add 2 mL water to test vial - ✅
2. Add 1 spoon Ca-1✅
3. Put plastic tip on syringe✅
4. Draw 1 mL Ca-2 into syringe✅
5. Add 0.6 of the reagent all at once (lower end of piston at 0.4 mL mark). Swirl for 5 seconds. The color should now be pink.

Step 5 is where I’m having the issue. The color does not turn pink. After adding (a drop at a time and swirling) the remaining Ca-2, the color remains blue the whole time.

Any suggestions? @Habib
What @kfisc aluded to, Draw a second syringe and when it changes add the results together.

Hmmm, when I have 20 minutes I’ll sit down and work through a drop at a time. A little sarcasm here😉

Okay, added 2mL of Ca-2 drop by drop shaking with each drop. The solution NEVER turned pink. So, do I now have a Ca level of over 1,000 ppm in my tank?

To note, this kit was missing the scoop for Ca-1 when I got it and I’ve been using the Salifert NO3 scoop. Maybe they’re different sizes???

my no3 is the same as ca, red 0.05ml
If it doesn't turn pink I think it means your ca is too low for the test to work
can you add a bit of ca to a sample of your tank water and see if it turns pink

my no3 is the same as ca, red 0.05ml
If it doesn't turn pink I think it means your ca is too low for the test to work
can you add a bit of ca to a sample of your tank water and see if it turns pink
Thank you, yes, my NO3 scoop is 0.05 ml. So that’s good.

Well crap, I went from ultra high Ca (800+ ppm) to way low? This is getting frustrating. No wonder I quit chasing numbers 25 years ago😂

Okay, just went from the new bucket of salt testing at 572 Ca on 12/4/22 and now newly mixed salt from the same bucket is <100????

Not sure that this test kit is good or if my salt is really messed up? Questioning if I should add Ca to the tank or not. Interestingly, the last couple days my Caribbean stonies are looking like crap and I did a water change last Sunday.

Per the BRS calculator, for the 5 gallon bucket of water I have mixing, I need to add 6 ounces Ca for bring it up from around 100 to 450. So, I added 6 oz to the bucket and will test in a bit.

What are the odds I went from a bucket of salt with ultra high Ca and low Alk to one really low on Ca?

Dumping that water and mixing a new batch.

Not sure what to think. I’ve gotten opinions my Ca is way high or way low here.

What salt are you using? I don’t think I’ve ever had salt swing that wildly

What salt are you using? I don’t think I’ve ever had salt swing that wildly
Coralife salt. I’ve been using that brand since it hit the market in the 1990’s (?) and never had a problem until these last two buckets. Both with different batch numbers.

Back