Need a new skimmer

Damon.Webb22

So folks. After the issues I have had with fishes and Nitrates being so high, I came to the conclusion part of the problem may be my skimmer. I have a used Aqua C Urchin in-sump running off a MaxiJet 1200 for the intake. It is in the intake side of my sump in it's own little area.

The reasons I think I might need a new skimmer are pretty simple. First, the collection cup gets full and the liquid is green. However, the stuff in there smells like algae and not waste. Meaning, it does not smell bad like waste does, at all. Now this may just mean the waste in there causes algae to grow which then eats up all the waste but I find this doubtful as I empty it every few days. The other reason is I have to have the cup bottomed out to collect anything and I can no longer get the plug out to clean the injection nozzle.

So, who has some recommendations for a 40B DT with a 40L sump? I do not have the funds to spend a ton on one so under $200 is optimal with under $150 preferred. I am not opposed to used either.

The last requirement is it must fit in an area that is only about 6"x12" which has my intake plumbing from my DT and whatever pump runs the skimmer. Oh, I do not have room outside my sump in the stand to mount an external skimmer.

And I should mention, I know spending more money on a good skimmer is preferable but i just can't do that right now.

Did the skimmer perform better when you got it? A good cleaning might help it as well as adjusting the skimmer cup higher.

Did the skimmer perform better when you got it? A good cleaning might help it as well as adjusting the skimmer cup higher.

I can't get to the injector portion to clean it as the plug is stripped and stuck. It did perform better I guess but it never did collect anything that smelled just water that smelled of algae.

I also had it adjusted higher but then it stopped collecting anything. The bubbles never got high enough to enter the cup.

Ok found two skimmers that will fit. I won't post the links but they are the Bubble Magus NAC5.5 and the Eshipps S-120 Snow Cone Skimmer. What do you guys think?

Do you gave a fuge? I normally run my 30 skimmerless and the 2 sps are growing. I say normally because Im currentl have a tang in it and feel that aerating can assist. Prior to the skimmer the last time I tested I had 0 nitrates. I haven't test the water for a few weeks:crazy1:

Maybe consider ditching the skimmer and run a fuge with some nice water changes

: http://youtu.be/eDnFj_xILKQ

This one from last week
: http://youtu.be/Xh7bo4sXUaI

I'm not running any carbon or gfo and havent for a long time if i ran any at all

Last edited:
Wait a tick...D you are the infamous guy with the white tail tang?

I do have a fuge. It is 12"x10" and has live rock rubble and caulerpa. I also have more fishies than you. I do probably need to do more WCs though....

Wait a tick...D you are the infamous guy with the white tail tang?

I do have a fuge. It is 12"x10" and has live rock rubble and caulerpa. I also have more fishies than you. I do probably need to do more WCs though....

Its not my fish but thats my tank. Pretty nice qt tank isnt it :lol:

That is Ebius's tang smack is taking care of until his tank is ready. I also have a white tail.

Ahhh it's going all my corals look good other then a few Millie's but I've always had trouble with them. Cyno is on its way out also

I always see you talking about feeding your fish chalupra you use that to remove stuff why add it back in to your system?

I always see you talking about feeding your fish chalupra you use that to remove stuff why add it back in to your system?

Not sure if that was a joke or not...I did have a foxface. Bad ending there. It is just in my fuge now.

Back