Need a quiet skimmer for a 20 gal

jkhudson

I've got a seaclone 100 running on a 20 gal in my bedroom but it's so noisy I have to shut it off at night. Is there a quiet effective skimmer out there that will work.

Quietest from all skimmers, I tried, is Tunze Nano Doc Skimmer 9002: small footprint in-tank skimmer.
Review is here: link .
It is not dead silent, sound is distracting as a dull headache, but doesn't interfere with daily activities, unless you have to do some creative or analyzing work. Allows to sleep.

Still is the best, comparing to air driven and venturi skimmers (tried: Lee's CC, Visi-Jet, ASM Mini, Bak-Pak2, Rio Nano HOB).

Last edited:
I agree, it's not SILENT but it's the quietest nano skimmer I could find. Plus, it works in-sump, allowing me to dampen the noise even further by hiding it in a cabinet.

Again, it's not silent and you WILL hear it. For me, it's the loudest thing I have, unfortunately. Still, I wouldn't pick anything else.

Tested JBJ built-in skimmer and AquaC Remora HOB.

OOT, but this information is vital for me:
erichatesmice:
please, list all quiet equipment, that you tried.

I have shelves with equipment, that was described as quiet, but was not, and they ended collecting dust.

So far only Mini Jets and stock pumps from NC12 were quiet. Even Koralia 1 started rattle after feeding.

Would really appreciate your help.

hello

The Tunze Nano sounds interesting.

Where can you buy it? Looking quickly on-line, I'm not finding any recognizable places selling it...

Thanks for the tip & the link to that review, Dendro...

Dendro, my tank parts may not apply to you because I don't have an all-in-one setup. I have a sump hidden away in a cabinet. Specs are in my sig. Note that many things, including my overflow and return, have the potential to generate alot of noise, so I had to improvise to get them quiet. My Ocean Runner 2500 is encased in a rubber housing (from Eheim but still works) and my overflow drain sits right above a small drain gully stuffed with poly filter. I also use 2 Koralia Nanos and those are silent in my tank.

I got mine new from EBay. There is also Tunze Nano Cleaner (you can see it through Google Image Search), similar box, placed next to skimmer. It works independently: surface skimmer, pump at the bottom and filter media could be placed all the way above the pump.

Planning to get it later.

erichatesmice:
Can you post details and maybe photos of silencing? I have other tanks too, and one with overflow box makes quite a sound by water, gurgling down the flexible tubing.
Have Ocean Runner 2500 PH, it is not as quiet, as I would want it to be. What is rubber housing?
You may make a separate thread, if you prefer.

I hope, others will be interested in quieting equipment too.

I have the remora and MJ1200 and think it's pretty loud. Bought used with new O ring, running for a couple of weeks now so should be settled in... ;o(

Back