Need advice please...

jayster

Hello all,

I'm trying to setup a 75g Fowlr but it seems like I made my first mistake,I used tap water with a conditioner.Now I've decided to get an RO/DI unit but it seems like the tank has cycled already,nothing in the tank yet but 75lbs. live rock.Ammonia and nitrite are 0 but nitrate is still 10-20 despite a 25% water change.Now the question is do I replace the water 100% with the ro/di or do it slowly with water changes?Also have a slight diatom bloom on some rocks,is this normal at this stage?What should I do?Thanks in advance for your time.

I dont think you will need to do a 100% water change. Just keep doing 25% every third day for a week and it will be fine.
It sounds like your tank hasn't finished cycling if you still have blooms of algea.
How long has it been setup for? did you put anything in their to start it up besides the rock?

Re: Need advice please...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12207602#post12207602 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jayster
Hello all,

I'm trying to setup a 75g Fowlr but it seems like I made my first mistake,I used tap water with a conditioner.Now I've decided to get an RO/DI unit but it seems like the tank has cycled already,nothing in the tank yet but 75lbs. live rock.Ammonia and nitrite are 0 but nitrate is still 10-20 despite a 25% water change.Now the question is do I replace the water 100% with the ro/di or do it slowly with water changes?Also have a slight diatom bloom on some rocks,is this normal at this stage?What should I do?Thanks in advance for your time.

the tap water is not giving you high nitrate readings--if anything it is the curing of the live rock
tap water introduces phosphates which could cause an algae bloom

I would not do any yet and let the tank cycle longer

For a fowlr tank those nitrate levels are not high

It's possible that it's not done cycling yet although ammonia and nitrites are both 0,it's only been two weeks.It's only the fully cured live rock that's in the tank.Thanks again.

There is a long time reefer here at RC that is still using tap water.I would not My TDS are 380.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12207738#post12207738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jayster
It's possible that it's not done cycling yet although ammonia and nitrites are both 0,it's only been two weeks.It's only the fully cured live rock that's in the tank.Thanks again.

it is possible that the live rock has not fully cured--sometimes that can take up to six months

if you let the diatom bloom alone it will consume any phosphates produced by the live rock and starve itself

Back