Need advise on lifting 180 gallon low iron glass tank

Daddyrawg

I need to get my tank up onto a stand then back down then move tank from garage to inside of house.

Manpower, dollies, suction handles, equipment needed? What's best method?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've always relied on a friend or three with strong backs. If you have access, a refrigerator dolly would work but I'd be afraid of putting pressure on the glass resting against it. You'll still need a hand or two to get it up on the stand.

Two of us have moved both a 150 (6x2x21) and an old (ancient) Oceanic 120 with 1/2" glass. both down to the basement and then up several years later. The 120 was harder (heavier).

And FWIW - I have pins in my ankle and knee, a hip replacement, 2 bad disks (L4-5, L5-S1) and a compression fracture of T4. When there's a will......

For a 100 gallon tank with thick glass, a physical lift from the floor required two strong men and a strong woman, who found crossing 10 feet of flat floor quite a chore.

mobile hydraulic scissor lift table

I have two and they are a real labor saver. I've moved tanks up to 800 gallons with just one other person. They are a bit limited on over all hieght so I've made a couple "spacers" for lack of a better word that raise the max height.

mobile hydraulic scissor lift table

I have two and they are a real labor saver. I've moved tanks up to 800 gallons with just one other person. They are a bit limited on over all hieght so I've made a couple "spacers" for lack of a better word that raise the max height.
I think I'm going to go this route..I think in the future of tank teardown it will also come in handy

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I moved my 120 with stand from my garage to inside of the house by myself. This is how I did it. I took my chop saw and some 2 x 4 material. I chopped up a bunch of 1/4" spacers. I then took a pry bar and raised each end up and slipped one of the spacers under each corner until I could get my furniture dolly under it. I ratchet strapped it all together. I then moved it into the house. I bought some of the large rectangular pads and cut them to the size of the 2 x 4 frame. I put one under each corner and one in the middle. I then then reversed the lift. The pads served two purposes. It allowed me to move the tank/stand around on hard wood floor without scratching it and it allowed me about a 1/4" of space under the stand for the last step.

I would use a couple friends, and suction cups would be your best bet in getting a nice grip. Just ensure the surface is wiped clean before you place them.

If you are going to buy equipment then, yeah a hydraulic table for sure

Back