Need assistance with Fluval FX4 canister filter.

Luda

I have a 75 gallon Salt water tank that I'm in the processes of setting up. Unfortunately it does not have capability to add a sump and I'm not into drilling into tempered glass. It will have a combination of fish and Coral.

I have 30lbs of live rock from a 25 gallon biocube tank I've had for a little over a year now. I will be migrating everything from my biocube to the new tank + 50 additional pounds of dead rock.

I will be taking one large live rock out of the biocube and also adding live sand to the new tank to help cycle it and seed the dead rock

My question is what media to put in the canister filter. It will be the fluval FX4 canister.

I'm considering the following because its what I already use for the filtration in the biocube and it has thrived.

Chemi pure elite with brs bulk premium rox 0.8 in one tray
Wondering if I should remove the bio rings and just crush some of my live rock and use the live rock rubble instead?
Also for the filter pads would anyone recommend anything better than what comes with the unit?

My biocube I replaced the two sponges in the first compartment with a media tray and had the following:
Microfilter pad (replaced every 3-4 days)
Chemipure elite (replaced every 3 months)
BRS rox .08 carbon (replaced every month)

2nd compartment:
Sponge (cleaned once a month)
Bioballs (cleaned once a month)

3rd compartment
Heater
pump

This has kept my biocube looking awesome plus weekly/bi-weekly water changes, clean and growing. just wondering if doing similar with the canister would be ok. I won't use a micro filter pad because from what I hear it will gunk up pretty quick in a canister.

I have a 75 gallon Salt water tank that I'm in the processes of setting up. Unfortunately it does not have capability to add a sump and I'm not into drilling into tempered glass. It will have a combination of fish and Coral.

I have 30lbs of live rock from a 25 gallon biocube tank I've had for a little over a year now. I will be migrating everything from my biocube to the new tank + 50 additional pounds of dead rock.

I will be taking one large live rock out of the biocube and also adding live sand to the new tank to help cycle it and seed the dead rock

My question is what media to put in the canister filter. It will be the fluval FX4 canister.

I'm considering the following because its what I already use for the filtration in the biocube and it has thrived.

Chemi pure elite with brs bulk premium rox 0.8 in one tray
Wondering if I should remove the bio rings and just crush some of my live rock and use the live rock rubble instead?
Also for the filter pads would anyone recommend anything better than what comes with the unit?

My biocube I replaced the two sponges in the first compartment with a media tray and had the following:
Microfilter pad (replaced every 3-4 days)
Chemipure elite (replaced every 3 months)
BRS rox .08 carbon (replaced every month)

2nd compartment:
Sponge (cleaned once a month)
Bioballs (cleaned once a month)

3rd compartment
Heater
pump

This has kept my biocube looking awesome plus weekly/bi-weekly water changes, clean and growing. just wondering if doing similar with the canister would be ok. I won't use a micro filter pad because from what I hear it will gunk up pretty quick in a canister.

I'd put Siporax in that canister. After it cycles, you will have good biological filtration and in a couple of months more, the denitrification process will start. I use siporax in Eheim canisters for my fw tanks and siporax in the sumps of my reefs. Love it.

I ran my reef until recently with a canister. You can check the thread here. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959429

Basically I ran a DSB in the bottom 6 inches with water diverted through the middle section instead of running to the bottom, used some rock rubble, then some biopellets, and a thin foam. Generally the issue is nitrate formation and that comes from detritus buildup and bacteria breaking it down so best practice would be weekly cleaning but I never was that on top of it. I ran this in fish only for 15 years and in the mixed reef for 5 years. I ran 2 tunze nano in tank skimmers. Its on my frogman no sump thread if you're interested.

The DSB and pellets help with nitrates. I can tell you that the filter was like a refugium with all sorts of critters living in it, sponges, worms, pods, snails, you name it. I also ran carbon and GFO from time to time in it. I'm not much of a believer in Chemipure. If you're having nitrate issues I would look at macro algae in the display, larger rocks in the display, nitrate sponge, or water changes. There is certainly no reason to keep the bio rings, I'd rather have the rock rubble as it is a better home for critters.

I was looking at those pellets as well. Thanks for the information. I have some ideas on how to proceed, thanks.

while the tank cycles I'll be monitoring all levels. If something is out of the ordinary I will modify what I have in the canister or add a HOB skimmer (looked at those all day yesterday)

Back