Need some comments on my 250g tank

It 7 feet long x 24 wide x 30 heigh

Thanks
58ba6b3258659f4b20d9f2802df15bfd.jpg
218057e11d13a89114380728e1e85018.jpg
37aaeb1ef91cd507efcc4c623699601e.jpg
ea1c0a103a967c7c7425e1c39f06b8cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I would change the "island" in the center, looks too square. I would take the upper left most rock and put it on top to make that "island" higher than the rest. Do note that having the rock lean on the back wall will make cleaning back there difficult.

What power heads you planning on and where you going to place them?

I would change the "island" in the center, looks too square. I would take the upper left most rock and put it on top to make that "island" higher than the rest. Do note that having the rock lean on the back wall will make cleaning back there difficult.

What power heads you planning on and where you going to place them?
Looking to get the maxspec gyro

Thanks for input

With that long of a tank...I'd want more of a predominant looking trench/valley. Just my .02.

Nevertheless...I'm jealous...that's my dream tank.

Aquascape is really a personal choice based on what appeals aesthetically. I have a tank this size and my corals overgrew it in less than 3 years. Note to self to use less rock next time.

Aquascape is really a personal choice based on what appeals aesthetically. I have a tank this size and my corals overgrew it in less than 3 years. Note to self to use less rock next time.

100% some good advice there :thumbsup:

Thanks

Just looking to make sure it looks ok.

I understand personal pref. But got advice one rock structure was to close to other so I opened it up.

Aesthetics is a personal choice agree, but there is something to it as far as keeping from having dead spots(Yours is bunched close to glass in back which may be hard to get) and cleaning.

I also prefer it not to be all the same level, but again personal choice there.

I like some various levels in the tank too. And I dont typically leave pieces stranded by themselves either. But just one guys opinion

Aesthetics is a personal choice agree, but there is something to it as far as keeping from having dead spots(Yours is bunched close to glass in back which may be hard to get) and cleaning.

I also prefer it not to be all the same level, but again personal choice there.

This

With your rocks against the back, it will be impossible to avoid fairly large areas of little to no flow. That will trap detritus and end up being an issue down the road.

Also - are your rocks on top of the sand? Stacking them the way you have them will create the possibility (probability?) of rock slides as fish and other critters dig down into the sand.

This

With your rocks against the back, it will be impossible to avoid fairly large areas of little to no flow. That will trap detritus and end up being an issue down the road.

Also - are your rocks on top of the sand? Stacking them the way you have them will create the possibility (probability?) of rock slides as fish and other critters dig down into the sand.
Not much sand in the back.

Plus I really wiggled them around to get them down to glass.

I like to have shaded areas under rocks and so do my fish. Check my homepage. Fish can go from one end to another under cover. I think you need at least some area they can hang out and not be in the light.

I want to expand on what Simon said (har har)

Aquascaping is definitely personal preference but there are basic usability and longevity concerns that are often overlooked. For me, they really fall in to two categories.

First, maintenance. Does your scape allow for good flow, given the pumps or powerheads you are using? Can you reach all areas of the tank? Even if you don't want to clean the back glass, what if you drop a frag or tool behind the rocks - can you reach it? Are there areas where detritus will collect? Not always a bad thing if it's accessible with a siphon hose, sometimes it's convenient to have it all blow to the same spot.

The second concern is perhaps more important but less often emphasized. How long will you keep the tank? How much coral are you expecting? 99% of people posting or commenting on Aquascaping threads seem to forget that corals take up room. This has a visual impact - coral in a mature tank can be half or two thirds of the visual weight - so if you're considering shape or size of the rocks, you should build half of what you eventually want in terms of visual impact. The coral growth has an impact on maintenance, too. My current tank is only an 18" cube, and it's only been up for 6 months, but there are already several spots where the SPS have grown enough that my scraper can't reach to the bottom of the glass any more. I wish I had kept the rock back from the glass a few more inches to allow room for coral.

So, yes, it's personal preference, but you want to temper that with the full grown look of the tank, too.

As a previous owner of a 7' long 400 G tank, I offer the following.
Are you planning on any large show piece fish? If so, then you may want to rethink the rock work. As they get larger, they need more room to swim.
Even smaller fish like angles and tangs like swimming room.

On my tank, I basically put a large island near each end, rising up to the top of the water. I then had a middle island of lower rock. Gave plenty of room for corals to grow and fish to swim. On the islands, think of incorporating "shelves" to place your corals on.

Good luck.

As a previous owner of a 7' long 400 G tank, I offer the following.
Are you planning on any large show piece fish? If so, then you may want to rethink the rock work. As they get larger, they need more room to swim.
Even smaller fish like angles and tangs like swimming room.

On my tank, I basically put a large island near each end, rising up to the top of the water. I then had a middle island of lower rock. Gave plenty of room for corals to grow and fish to swim. On the islands, think of incorporating "shelves" to place your corals on.

Good luck.
Thanks as you can see from the side there is plenty of room for a large fish to swim

Thanks for info
2adc7241658303f48fa9a2301f15eba3.jpg

Define large. :)
My male Naso tang I had in my reef was over 12" long not counting his 4" streamers. My majestic angel was pushing 7".
So depending on which fish you plan to have will dictiate how much room they need to swim and turn around.
My tank was 30" wide and I had at least 18" of room between the rock/corals and the front glass. But my tank was also 36" tall so that helped with swimming room.

Define large. :)
My male Naso tang I had in my reef was over 12" long not counting his 4" streamers. My majestic angel was pushing 7".
So depending on which fish you plan to have will dictiate how much room they need to swim and turn around.
My tank was 30" wide and I had at least 18" of room between the rock/corals and the front glass. But my tank was also 36" tall so that helped with swimming room.
Thanks for the advice.

I should have enough room for fish to turn around.. the far right has plenty of room.

The left has good amount as well.

My left structure only goes half way..

Back