Need Guidance On Wavemakers/Tank Circulation

vjb71

Hi

I need some help with my powerheads.

I have a 100g tank and till recently was using 2 Sicce Voyager 2 (rated o/p 800gph). However I was finding this to be low on the circulation side and probably creating some dead spots. A couple of weeks back I added a 3rd PH - a Jebao RW15 with a rated o/p of 1200-15000 lph, 300-4000 gph.

Now, I get good circulation even at about 65% power on the PH. I still retain the 2 Sicce with one of them pointing towards the water surface for gas exchange. However I am noticing that the feather dusters on the sand bed cannot open up straight as they used to and get swayed. So do some of my corals. I have a small torch and mushroom coral which were kept loosely on the sand bed and they get displaced from their position.

A fts showing all 3 PHs is attached. The Jebao is on the right side glass and slightly right of centre point just behind the rock work. The Sicces on the left and back panels. The Sicce on left side glass is just about centre pointing towards the bridge on the left side rock work.

I would like to know

a. if there is any thing like too much circulation and will this extra circulation be dangerous. If so, what should be the ideal circulation.
b. if the PHs are placed and pointing the way they are, why am I getting circulation at the sand bed particularly amongst the coral frags and feather dusters that are away from the Jebao and on the front side of the rock work, whereas the Jebao is on the back side of rock work.

Appreciate any feedback on this subject.

Attachments

• IMG-20140927-00824.jpg
    IMG-20140927-00824.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Remove or turn off one of the pumps, too much flow is not good for LPS, they like a soft swaying action not being blasted. As you are seeing random flow is a good thing, so a good wavemaker with controllable pumps are worth the investment.

Back