Need help/advice on New Red Sea Reefer

BigRich3

Hi everyone! So I just bought and received a red sea reefer 250. I set it up and started the leak test portion. All of my connections except one(where the pipes join/go through and thread in the overflow) leak! After reading online since last night it seems this a, sorry to find out, common problem. I've already tried the most common fixes; didn't over tighten, never cross threaded, made sure the o rings are all in good shape/applied silicone, used teflon tape, double checked all pipes to make sure nothing is damaged but still leaks from all connection points except one. The leak is a pretty good, a constant drip like flow. I can't believe the teflon tape didn't stop it, it slowed it down but still get a drip. I went with 5 times around, still leaked, then went to probably 12 times around and it still was leaking. This is the overflow box test, incase anyone is wondering that doesn't have a reefer. You just fill the overflow box up some to test for leaks, like the red sea manual states to.

So, as you can imagine, I'm extremely frustrated and down. I've had tanks all my life but never had a issue like this. On "normal" tanks you use pvc cement/etc and it's good to go(99% of the time). My store I bought it from is even helping me, but they don't have a lot of experience with this type of tank/connections. We all realized that these aren't "standard" pvc connections/pipes here in the US so we also have that going against us. The store, thought at first, we could just use some new pvc/couplers and pvc cement but they doesn't look feasible.

Could I use pvc cement and permanently fix the pipes? Has anyone tried this/been successful? I thought about using a tank silicone at the leaks from where the pipes come through the bulkhead(applying it from underneath to form a permanent seal). I'm really running low on ideas and before I try something permanent was wondering if the community has any other ideas to try. My local store is great but, like I mentioned, they don't have really any experience with this tank model. So any insight/thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for my first post to be a negative one but hopefully once this gets behind me I will have some great pics/information to help others!

Thanks everyone and glad to be here,
Brian

applied silicone, used teflon tape,

silicone and teflon tape should not be used despite being talked about all over the place..
Teflon tape is for metallic threads only..
and silicone has no place there either...

If you haven't already ruined the threads then what you want is a non-hardening thread sealant specifically for PVC..
Rector-Seal is one brand sold at Home Depot,etc.. (not the best but does the trick..)

I don't have that tank but for some reason I want to say its all metric fittings too (I may be wrong on that).. I think bulkreefsupply has adapters..

You shouldn't need teflon tape with those fittings. Take it off and try again. Worse comes to worse call Red Sea, they can sent you replacement pipes/fittings if necessary.

I only use the worlds oldest known solvent/lubricant (Spit !) on the gaskets, then hand tighten, No tools or tape on those parts. Just take it all apart (take a break)and start over.

silicone and teflon tape should not be used despite being talked about all over the place..
Teflon tape is for metallic threads only..
and silicone has no place there either...

If you haven't already ruined the threads then what you want is a non-hardening thread sealant specifically for PVC..
Rector-Seal is one brand sold at Home Depot,etc.. (not the best but does the trick..)

I don't have that tank but for some reason I want to say its all metric fittings too (I may be wrong on that).. I think bulkreefsupply has adapters..

Hi,
I used a very small amount of silicone on the o rings only as advised by lfs, I believe also was advised by Red Sea as well. The PVC only has been wrapped with teflon tape on the threads, on the recommendation of Red Sea themselves. My lfs copied me the email correspondence they have had back and forth with them. No chemical or lubricant has been applied to any threads. Yes the tank uses metric fittings. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that you have to use Red Sea's connection method of the "gasket"/thread in. You can cut the pvc after this and use adapters but they won't solve my issue, as the problem is leaks at the connection points.

You shouldn't need teflon tape with those fittings. Take it off and try again. Worse comes to worse call Red Sea, they can sent you replacement pipes/fittings if necessary.

Hi,
Thanks. My LFS has been in contact and I believe they are sending out all new pipes/fittings. My concern is that this leak will happen again, maybe over time. So you could say, I'm trying to find a extra level of safety on the connections/fittings. BTW I first assembled/plumbed in everything without any lubricant/teflon tape and it was leaking badly from the connection points. I did some googling once I had the issue and have read numerous online threads about others with the same issue whether it be leaking from one or multiple connection points. The Red Sea method of plumbing has failed me this time for whatever reason, so I'm just concerned about the future. Thus why I'm thinking about trying to use something to make the connections more secure/ a redundancy incase their gasket threading system fails.

Good, Red Seas CS is better than most. Just want to add that using teflon thread tape on PVC "can" cause too much pressure inside the threaded joint and split the outside at the seam. Sooner or later. (Yes I learned that the hard way, Like most everythng else)

Last edited:
Back