Need help - Anemone stuck in power head screen

nemofish2217

So, for some unknown reason, my BTA has been on the move today, no big deal. I look up, and its sucked to the powerhead. I cut off the powerhead and removed the main screen. Nem looks for the most part OK, but it appears to be stuck in the screen/grate of the powerhead (pics below). What is the best way to try to get him out? I know they can expel the majority of their water out, but it appears that the part that is wedged is a pretty meaty chuck (almost looks like the mouth/foot end.

Advice?

elFloyd is correct, just unplug the PH and wait it out. The BTA will get itself out and most likely will heal just fine. It could however split after going through the stress of this happening. Also do not feed it for a while after it comes out and or splits for quite a while.

If you do try to help him out be very careful and try to unstick/unsuction the foot for sure before anything. If it doesn't come off easy I'd say don't even try...let it get out on it's own.

Thanks for the input, folks. I did as Floyd suggested and the nem did get himself out just fine...some signs of injury, but I think there is a good chance he will make it...thanks for all of the input!

Suggest you make a box out of gutter guard or plastic needlepoint canvas to protect that powerhead or don't use one. With nems, it's better IME to have a very strong return pump rather than powerheads. You need the circulation, definitely, but if they can get to an intake, they'll try.

Back