Need help from a DIY pro for a sump build

b_s_c1

I need some help for a DIY acrylic sump/return/refugium build. I have limited space under my stand and would like to use most of it.

I know what I want I just cant come up with a good design. Where the water would enter the sump from the left side I would like to have something removeable so I can run carbon and still have enough room to have my skimmer (skimmer footprint 10.4"x6.7"x19.6" tall). Next would be my return. Than the refugium which will get its water from a T in the overflow.

The overall length can only be 38". Width will be 8". I will have to remove the center brace from the back to install the S/R/R.

It will be 15'' tall with the bubble trap at 11" and the refugium at 13".

Thanks for the help.

Re: Need help from a DIY pro for a sump build

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15452982#post15452982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by b_s_c1
I need some help for a DIY acrylic sump/return/refugium build. I have limited space under my stand and would like to use most of it.

I know what I want I just cant come up with a good design. Where the water would enter the sump from the left side I would like to have something removeable so I can run carbon and still have enough room to have my skimmer (skimmer footprint 10.4"x6.7"x19.6" tall). Next would be my return. Than the refugium which will get its water from a T in the overflow.

The overall length can only be 38". Width will be 8". I will have to remove the center brace from the back to install the S/R/R.

It will be 15'' tall with the bubble trap at 11" and the refugium at 13".

Thanks for the help.
refugium build. I have limited space under my stand and would like to use most of it.
218431stand_footprint.bmp

Check out melevs site or my red house for some different sump config. How crazy you wanna get????

I have looked at melevs and beananimals site. That is where I got most of my ideas. The main problem I am having is with the carbon box.

I am going to use as much space as I can and have the sump shaped like the stand to allow for more water.

Gonna get as crazy as it takes.

Media drawers???? Check out my thread I origanlly planned on them but got a wild hair and went all out with it.....
Btw. I don't consider my self a pro...just a worker bee!!!!! Always learning my self...

Nice design.

The first tray looks like it is close to the top of the sump. Would that cause a problem with water splashing over the top.

Being able to incorporate phosban along with the carbon would be a plus.

Kinda thinking about something between the baffles. The media drawers might be getting a little to crazy because they will all have to be built with the angle. I can do it I am just dont want to put that much detail into it if there is another option.

No splashing is not a issue if I would have finished it it would have a lid with bulkheads similar to a wet/dry..........you might be better off with reactors for the carbon and gfo..like 2 little fishies or something...putting carbon between the baffles is gonna kill your flow and not really do its job well.....the sump I built changed drastically if you look on the last few pages I threw the drawers out....and the skimmer feeds the fuge with a chateo tumbler....

Troylee- You said you are not a pro but after skimming through your trend I will have to disagree. Thanks for the advice.

I thought about a reactor and will use one if I have to, but dont really want to.

If I use a reactor I will have to add a pump. I would prefer to make a carbon and phosban chamber that uses the natural flow of the sump or gravity feed.

Less equipment would be less electricity, maint., heat, and money.

This is gonna be a tuff one man...even a sump at 8w by18t and 24l about the only size you could squeeze in there is a 15gal sump....nothing else is gonna fit in the doors.....
If you put a skimmer and some baffles your out of room....

I am going to go through the back. I will have drain most of the water and remove the center brace to get it in. If I do this I can make the overall length 38".

The sump will follow the angle of the stand.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15453343#post15453343 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by b_s_c1
Troylee- You said you are not a pro but after skimming through your trend I will have to disagree. Thanks for the advice.

I thought about a reactor and will use one if I have to, but dont really want to.

If I use a reactor I will have to add a pump. I would prefer to make a carbon and phosban chamber that uses the natural flow of the sump or gravity feed.

Less equipment would be less electricity, maint., heat, and money.

Why would you have to buy another pump to run a reactor? Did you minimally size your return pump? Not allowing any flexibility or overhead at all? Media trays, are less efficient than reactors, and just as much of a maintenance issue, and reactors should be run off of the return pump. Media trays act as mechanical filters first, when fed with raw water, trapping particulate matter that will rot....... so forth and so on. Same amount of headaches as socks, bio balls, tennis balls, hockey pucks and curling stones.......pads, sponges, mops.

Regards,

Jim

I did not think about using my return pump for the reactor. I have the return valved back half way so I will have enough to feed the reactor.

My main problem is space. I am thinking about doing away with the refugium and just making a space in the return for some LR.

If I would do this I would have enough room for the reactor.

Any ideas on the best way to utilize the space will be helpful.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15462220#post15462220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by troylee
Lose the live rock and run a skimmer....its a heart beat of any system..

Ok troylee, gotta give you a little anatomy lesson here. The skimmer is the kidneys, the pump is the heart.:D I would liken the fuge to the liver, unless you got a dsb goin on.... both kinda needed.

OP: a pressure fed reactor can be anywhere, as long as it is sealed good, it can even be outside the stand, hidden in a furniture type cabinet.

What kind of room do you have?

Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15462312#post15462312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by troylee
i said heart beat not heart jim.......:lol:

Well if your kidneys are beating, you better get some help...............:D

The project started when I ordered my new skimmer. I new it would not fit in my current sump.

I am starting to lean away from having a refuge due to space. If I add on on the right side it will be hard to get to for proper maint./cleaning.

What I was thinking was having a large return and just adding a egg crate as a divider in the return and stocking it with LR and maybe some cheato.

I am not againt a hole new design, and am open for opinions and other options. Just keep in mind I am working with limited space and want it to be as efficient as possible.

Back