Need help identifying/plumbing Reef Octopus

Hello All,
So, a few weeks ago I bought a Reef Octopus off Craigslist which I thought was a NWB-150. I'm pretty sure it's a 150 (6" diameter), but it doesn't look quite right for the NWB-150.

After it's identified, I'm still lost on exactly how to plumb it. From what I can gather (manual doesn't do this newb any good) it seems like I would run the overflow/output from the display tank into the 1 1/4" gray inlet pipe (on the left side in the pic) and the outlet is the 3/4" pipe just above the water pump. Is this correct?

Last question, it looks like I could use this outside the sump, or am I completely misunderstanding this setup?

Thanks in advance.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ProteinSkimmer.jpg
    ProteinSkimmer.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
You have it opposite. Right is the outlet, left the inlet. It will take a low flow from the DT. I don't know the model.

Oh yea, the gate valve on the outlet is to adjust the water level in the skimmer. And it's an in sump model.

Thanks for the help Misled. So, being that I mixed up the inlet/outlet tubes, I think I'm even more confused. Mainly, what's the typical method of getting water from the sump, into the skimmer?

I've made a drawing proposing how I think I could do this, any thoughts?

Also, as you may notice, I've left the skimmer outside the sump. Why can't I use it like this? I understand it's an "in-sump" model, but I'm looking for an explanation as to why I can't do it like this.

Thanks again

attachment.php

Attachments

• Aquarium Plumbing.png
    Aquarium Plumbing.png
    26 KB · Views: 0
Your schematic won't work because of gravity and the nature of this skimmer will cause this to flood your floor. The skimmer is designed to go in the sump. Run your overflow unrestricted into your sump then best bet would be to find out what pump is rated for that skimmer and connect that to feed the skimmer. The other option is to T off your return with a ball valve and feed the skimmer (in the sump) with that flow, but this is by no means the best option as you will be all the time tweaking the inflow and the outflow gate valve trying to get the thing to actually skim. Believe me tweaking the gate valve in sump is enough of a variable to make you prematurely grey, limit your variables with skimmers and sumps and you'll be much happier.

Last edited:
Also, since that type of skimmer is supposed to be in the sump I would highly recommend putting it in the center section and finding the correct model so you know at what depth to place it. The depth the skimmer is sitting at makes a big deal. I have mine in the 3rd chamber with an autotop off so it rarely goes up or down more than a 1/4", but if for some unknown reason the level rises, the skimmer goes nuts and overflows the collector cup and then all that nasty crud goes running into my sump. When I am able to I'm going to build a ledge so that it can sit in the 2nd chamber in a stable 6" of water.

Thanks for all the advice will. So I'm going to have to run three pumps? One on the skimmer, one to feed the skimmer, and a return pump?

If that's the case, I think I'll have to reconsider things...

Thanks again.

What you have there is a recirculating skimmer, all you need to do is feed some water into the inlet side with another pump or overflow. You can plump a feed of your return pump, get a standalone pump, or plumb an overflow feed to it. The pump that is on the skimmer is only for drawing air in and chopping it up, and recirculating the water inside the skimmer body.

The reason I recommended another pump is because it's easier to regulate the flow into the skimmer if you buy the recommended pump that is rated for the skimmer. Skimmers are tricky things that require all the stars to be in alignment to work correctly (IMHE). So, to keep the variables to a minimum I would use a feed pump, the 2nd option would be to T off of your return pump, lastly and least recommended T off of your overflow with a ball valve.

Back