need help on a sump/fuge for a 52 corner

Southern Boy

I'm downsizing.Don't have time for the 180 no more but can't walk away from the hobby.I'm picking up a 52 gallon corner bow front and I'm wandering if anyone has any ideas on a sump/fuge.I was thinkink on stacking 2 10's on top of each other and doin an external skimmer.Theres not alot of room in there.Anyone got one of these that they've cramed some stuff in?Any input would be greatly appretiated.

I will be watching this thread closely. I am going through the same dilemma with my 54g cornertank.

I need to upgrade to a refugium system, but I can not figure out how I am going to fit everything underneath the tank

I wanted to build a corner tank in the past. I was planning on making a wood sump in a triangular shape and fiberglass it. Or you can just fit the biggest rubber maid under there.

I'd probably do an external, HOB refugium and hang it onto the 10 gal. Another option is to go custom and have some build you a 20" x 20" sump/fuge.

So what I think I want to do is this.A 10 gallon tank will fit perfectly sidways in the stand.I want to put 1 10 gallon on the bottom facing 1 way and another 10 gallon on the top facing the other way.Like an "L" shape.I'd like the top to be the fuge and the bottom to be the sump.I will put a riser in the top 1 with a bulkhead and a 1"x2"bushing and some mesh (to keep everything in the fuge that is supposed to stay there) to skim the water off for the sump bellow.I would split the sump into 2 compartments.Basicly down the middle long ways.I would have to fit a skimmer in there(if possible)and it would have to be in the end wher the fuge is not.The fuge would drain out the bottom of the tank through the riser into the skimmer section and would go through some baffles to the other side of the sump to the return section.Now for the ?'s.I plan on using a mag 9.5 for my return pump.Will that be to much flow going into the fuge section? Should I seperate the drain so I don't get that much water into the fuge?Where can I incorperate a filter sock.Also I would build a frame for the fuge so it is not resting on the sump and would put the baffles low in the sumop to equate in excess water during an outage.My fuge would operate at rufly 9 gallons at the top of the drain riser and the sump at about 8 gallons.That should leave me around 3-4 gallons in my sump/skimmer section and about the same in my return section.If i had to I could put my skimmer external and the same with the return pump.I'm not sure what skimmer I will use yet.Any thoughts?

Back