Need Help Wanting To Switch To Barebottom

Will Haider

Hello everyone so I want to switch to a barebottom tank from my dsb for many reasons ease if cleanup no sand piles or any chances of nuking my tank so my setup is an elos concept 80 with high flow powerful skimmer so I'm good on the equipment I have About a 3-2in sanded of oolite and would like to go barebottom should I just siphon out a little every water change and span it out over 4 weeks I do 25% water change every week the tank has only been running for close to 4months Thanks for your help, Will

should I just siphon out a little every water change and span it out over 4 weeks I do 25% water change every week the tank has only been running for close to 4months Thanks for your help, Will

Sounds like you are right on target. You know why to remove the sand a bit at a time? (because it is part of your biological filter, you remove this bacteria from your tank it has to grow elsewhere to rebound back to its prior level.)

Depending on the sensitivity of your tank inhabitants.

Barebottom tanks take a bit of a tweak on customary husbandry practices.

4 months is hardly a start on a tank. You sure you want to make the change?

Yes I'm sure I want to make the change the oolite I have chosen though pretty is a PNA to deal with so will the tank be fine If I removed all of this over 4 weeks time I could go longer if needed and yes the sand bed is a breeding ground for beneficial bacteria.

Yes I'm sure I want to make the change the oolite I have chosen though pretty is a PNA to deal with so will the tank be fine If I removed all of this over 4 weeks time I could go longer if needed and yes the sand bed is a breeding ground for beneficial bacteria.

Well, you sound to me like you know what you are doing. Just keep an eye out for any telltale signs of distress, tank wide, and you should be fine. I got faith in you.

Back