Need help with deciding if I need more clean up crew.

GilliganReef

I have 65 gallon DT mixed reef with 30 gal sumps. I have been having issue with aiptasia anemones and had a coral frag plug bring bubble algae in my tank. Aiptasia I have been trying to use Joe's juice but that only helps with the large ones. I have used peppermint shrimp before with great results.

Bubble algae I have been able to manage down to a few little spots. Every water change I scrubs anything with them and try siphoning them out. But I have some still but in hard to reach areas and on rocks that cannot be removed.

I do 15% W/C every week with 25-30% W/C once a month.

I would like to add some more Clean up crew but don't think it is necessary. I have three large Astrea snails and 100+ baby ones. I just watch my nassarius snail lay eggs in my tank last week. I have about a dozen hermits.

I am trying to figure out if I should add anymore. Here are what I am thinking for options.

1. Emerald crab - once he's finish with his job. Will live his life out in fuge.
2. 2-3 peppermint shrimp to help with Apitasia.
3. 1 skunk shrimp- miss this guy they are always fun to watch.

Tank parameters
Temp 77-78
Cal :410
Mag : 1,400
Am: 0
Nit: 0
Nat: 0
Alk: 9
Phos: 0.01

Inhabitants
1 Maroon clown
2 PJ cardinals
1 chromis
1 starry Blenny
1 fancy brittle star
5fd6969834df91c2d46d1786e455c83c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had really good luck with peppermint shrimp. Plus they are really cute and fun to watch. Same with cleaner shrimp. The emerald might be hard to catch when you want to move him to the sump but if you are up for it then go for it. Otherwise it seems like you've got it under control.

Shrimp will not be no problem, but they can be a nuisance when it comes to trying to feed your corals. They will still food. I have seen some reports that Peppermints can irritate you corals. With the Emerald, I dislike them very much. IME, they have kill snails and hermits. No experience with this, but I heard they are capable of killing small fish. How small, I don't know.

also i agree that the shrimp irritate your coral during feeding. I had to take them out because they kept stealing food from coral when feeding.

Back