Need help with selecting fishes for 180 gal FOWLR tank

puks

Hi guys,

I'm doing a homework preparing a list of fishes for 180 gal FOWLR tank (6x2x2).

Here is what I'm thinking about with a minimum tank requirement and max size of a fish

Eel
- Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa), 50 gal, 2'
- Wolf Eel (Congrogadus subducens) (It is a pseudochromid (Dottyback)), 125 gal, 1'6"
- Jeweled Moray Eel (Muraena lentiginosa), 50 gal, 2'

Triggerfish
- Blue Throat Triggerfish (Xanthichthys auromarginatus), 125 gal, 9"

Lionfish
- Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus), 50 gal, 7"
OR
- Dwarf/Zebra Lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra), 50 gal, 7"

AND

- Antennata Lionfish (Pterois antennata), 50 gal, 7"

Puffer
Any suggestions from this list?

Tang
I wanted
- Naso Tang (Naso lituratus), 180 gal, 1'6"
but it's probably too big

other option is one of these guys
- Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon), 125 gal, 9"
- Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus), 125 gal, 8"

Large Angels
- Lamarck's Angelfish (Genicanthus lamarck), 125 gal, 9"

Filefish
I guess the only option is
- Tassle Filefish (Chaetodermis penicilligerus) (also known as the Leafy Filefish or Prickly Leatherjacket Filefish), 180 gal, 1'

because Matted Filefish is too small
- Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus), 30 gal, 3.5"

Other
- Marine Betta (Calloplesiops altivelis) (Comet), 50 gal, 8"

Aggressive fishes are new for me and I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm doing a homework preparing a list of fishes for 180 gal FOWLR tank (6x2x2).

Here is what I'm thinking about with a minimum tank requirement and max size of a fish

Eel
- Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa), 50 gal, 2'
- Wolf Eel (Congrogadus subducens) (It is a pseudochromid (Dottyback)), 125 gal, 1'6"
- Jeweled Moray Eel (Muraena lentiginosa), 50 gal, 2'

Triggerfish
- Blue Throat Triggerfish (Xanthichthys auromarginatus), 125 gal, 9"

Lionfish
- Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus), 50 gal, 7"
OR
- Dwarf/Zebra Lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra), 50 gal, 7"

AND

- Antennata Lionfish (Pterois antennata), 50 gal, 7"

Puffer
Any suggestions from this list?

Tang
I wanted
- Naso Tang (Naso lituratus), 180 gal, 1'6"
but it's probably too big

other option is one of these guys
- Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon), 125 gal, 9"
- Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus), 125 gal, 8"

Large Angels
- Lamarck's Angelfish (Genicanthus lamarck), 125 gal, 9"

Filefish
I guess the only option is
- Tassle Filefish (Chaetodermis penicilligerus) (also known as the Leafy Filefish or Prickly Leatherjacket Filefish), 180 gal, 1'

because Matted Filefish is too small
- Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus), 30 gal, 3.5"

Other
- Marine Betta (Calloplesiops altivelis) (Comet), 50 gal, 8"

Aggressive fishes are new for me and I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks

Ok with the eel pick the one you like the best I like the Snowflake or Zebra.
Puffer I personally like the narrow lined or the Immaculatus Puffer. The blue throat trigger is a good pick. As far as lionfish they normally don't go with triggers, but if (I did with no problems) you do go with the volitan lionfish. I like the Naso tang if not I'll go with the powder blue. You ever thought about a foxface? Angel fish I can't say buy I have had good luck with lemon peel angel. For the rest I can't say not familiar with them. I would say to look at a Harlequin Tusk. Hope this helps you.

Ok with the eel pick the one you like the best I like the Snowflake or Zebra.
Puffer I personally like the narrow lined or the Immaculatus Puffer. The blue throat trigger is a good pick. As far as lionfish they normally don't go with triggers, but if (I did with no problems) you do go with the volitan lionfish. I like the Naso tang if not I'll go with the powder blue. You ever thought about a foxface? Angel fish I can't say buy I have had good luck with lemon peel angel. For the rest I can't say not familiar with them. I would say to look at a Harlequin Tusk. Hope this helps you.

Thanks redlazer.

I'm thinking to stay with Snowflake and Zebra Moray Eels. Start with Zebra's one because it's peaceful to fishes and add Snowflake later when other fishes are large enough for his mouth.

The Blue Throat Triggerfish is a plankton-eater and I guess it's should be ok to keep it with the Lions.

Because the tank will be loaded enough I'm trying to keep size of fishes smaller. That's why I selected Antennata rather than Volitan Lionfish.

I really like Foxface, but have it already in 120 gal community tank.

Looked different Puffers. Ideally I'd like to have Blue Spotted and Immaculatus (OR Narrow-Lined) Puffers. There are 2 questions:

- Blue Spotted Puffer is 5" max. Is it enough to be safe with the Snowflake eel?
- Can these 2 puffers live together if they are the same gender?

Thanks

A snow flake is the most common eel to have. The BT tigger is a meat eater. As far as Puffer I prefer bigger puffers and as far as them two living together idk.

Zebra eel. No lions with the trigger. Dogface or star and stripes puffer (check tank size requirement). Not too knowledgable on tangs. Angel should be fine.

Zebra eel. No lions with the trigger. Dogface or star and stripes puffer (check tank size requirement). Not too knowledgable on tangs. Angel should be fine.

+1 Naso will get too large for your tank. A powder blue or powder brown will be fine.

I saw several threads where mentioned "The blue throat and other planktonic-feeding triggers generally make good tankmates for lionfish."

Why did you recommend "Dogface or star and stripes puffer"?

I saw several threads where mentioned "The blue throat and other planktonic-feeding triggers generally make good tankmates for lionfish."

Why did you recommend "Dogface or star and stripes puffer"?

In a 180 I'd go with the Dogface. Larger Arothron puffers (stars + stripes, Guinea Fowl, Reticulated, etc) would be a little much for a 180. Dogfaces are also a little less aggressive IMO.

I have had no issues keeping the following triggers with volitans lionfish FWIW:

-Blue Throat
-Black (Melichthys indicus)
-Niger (too big for a 180)
-Pink tail
-Picasso

In a 180 I'd go with the Dogface. Larger Arothron puffers (stars + stripes, Guinea Fowl, Reticulated, etc) would be a little much for a 180. Dogfaces are also a little less aggressive IMO.

What's about Narrow-Lined Puffer (Arothron manilensis)?

dogface on the puffer...every one that I have kept had a great personality, and readily fed on all the items I offered them

The best advice is..

Dont listen to anybody, get some books, research online, and find what you like and what moves you.

Go from there.

Best of luck,

TK

If you do want puffers and/or triggers I would simply suggest not getting a lionfish. Too much undertainty once you add that species to the mix.

On the other hand, if that is your ONE FISH you must have, then the story changes.

Regardless, I do agree with humaguy... do a lot of research before you buy anything.

Back