Need help with water noise problem

erb

When i restart my return pump after its been off, sometimes I get a lot of gurgling and other times things just come up quiet. The gurgling goes away in as little as a few minutes or more often can take 5 or 6 hours, but in every case, if i wait long enough things quiet down and go back to silent running.
Any ideas as to how to fix this? I'm running a 75gal corner flow tank and 30 gal sump

What type of overflow setup are you using? Herbie? Durso? Bean? something else?
Can you show a picture of your overflow?

and also a picture of the drain pipes where they enter the sump?
Are they submerged an inch or less? If you have then submerged too far it can cause them to not purge themselves of air quickly enough and cause that problem..

I think my return descends about 2 inches below the water level, maybe that's it
Pretty tough to post a pic of my overflow piping as the important parts are hidden in either the corner flow part of the tank or below the water line in the sump

My overflow is just a piece of 1.25" PVC pipe in an upside down U that came with the tank

This pdf I found pretty well shows what it looks like (although mine is a different brand - its the same thing) search google for "Corner Flo Plumbing Tips"

Sounds like a fairly standard Durso style drain to me. I would suggest adding a "T" fitting to the drain line just above the water line in the sump, with the "leg" of the tee just above the water level. This will allow any air to escape easily.

Sounds like a fairly standard Durso style drain to me. I would suggest adding a "T" fitting to the drain line just above the water line in the sump, with the "leg" of the tee just above the water level. This will allow any air to escape easily.

yep.. that should do it..
Even raising it so that its like 1/2" to no more than 1" below the water will help some..

durso will always be loud, I hate mine. No matter what I did to fix the noise, it just never went away

Back