need help

siphon1

Hi all! I'm new here And after lurking around and reading posts i decided to make a post of my own. I have done FW for about 20yrs and thanks to a friend I am now into SW. He gave me his established 92G corner with over 100 lbs of rock and dead corals. Currently everything is set up and I'm just waiting for the cycle. I also received 2 clowns, a royal gramma, an eel goby?, and what i think is a brittle star. Now for my question. All fish are in week 3 of quarantine while the DT tank is cycling. The star hid under a piece of pvc that i put in there and when i looked a day later his arm was torn off in the middle. 2 days later i moved the pvc and now he is in like 50 pieces. Is he dead or reproducing? What caused this? The other fish are fine and seem very happy. Also when the DT is done cycling can I add any fish other than what was given to me? Thanks for any help!

cant help with star fish.when tank cycle add fish u have i'd wait few weeks then stat qt on next fish u want.new tank take time to adjust to bi load as u add fish

ditto on the fish advice from divine. I don't think a star fish would reproduce by breaking up into multiple pieces but I'm not positive....I think I would try to get them out of there....

I'm not sure, but I've heard starfish will get into the substrate, or under stuff and then just starve and die.

Hi all! I'm new here And after lurking around and reading posts i decided to make a post of my own. I have done FW for about 20yrs and thanks to a friend I am now into SW. He gave me his established 92G corner with over 100 lbs of rock and dead corals. Currently everything is set up and I'm just waiting for the cycle. I also received 2 clowns, a royal gramma, an eel goby?, and what i think is a brittle star. Now for my question. All fish are in week 3 of quarantine while the DT tank is cycling. The star hid under a piece of pvc that i put in there and when i looked a day later his arm was torn off in the middle. 2 days later i moved the pvc and now he is in like 50 pieces. Is he dead or reproducing? What caused this? The other fish are fine and seem very happy. Also when the DT is done cycling can I add any fish other than what was given to me? Thanks for any help!

Like others have said on the fish, I would add what you have and go get a new fish you want and add it to your QT. by the time your new fish is done QT you should be safe to add it to your display then you can repeat the process :).

As for the brittle star, Usually they are fairly active when food hits the tank with arms outstretched trying to grab what they can. If he doesn't do that, and he's in pieces he is more than likely dead, sadly. Possible causes if that is the case are that he wasn't properly acclimated, or the conditions in the tank were just not what they should be for inverts. They are much more susceptible to poor acclimation and tank conditions then fish.

Typically for acclimation i slowly drip my water into a container that holds the invert with their current water. I do this usually over an hour keeping an eye that water temps don't decrease too much. This slowly brings the water conditions up in the container and makes for a much better move to your tank.

Thanks to all who replied. Funny thing is the star was fine for the first 2 weeks then he decided to hide under the Pvc and now it looks like he just disintegrated! All other fish are fine and should be able to go in the DT in another week or so. Just wondering what are some easy to care for fish that are compatible with what i have so i can start researching them and decide what I want. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Back