Need ID, Spider in tank out of nowhere!

justross04

I have had a tank set up for about a 2.5 months now. There is live rock and sand in there, along with a small clean up crew, a damsel, and a clown. I was doing some maintenance the other day and out of the rock came a spider. I looked up Sea Spiders and it looks nothing like them. It's been moving around the rocks now for 3-4 days.

Can someone help identify this? Is it safe for the environment?

Attachments

• IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
CAn you get a better picture. All I see are legs. If it is a sea spider you will want to remove it.

I just scooped it out during my lunch, is that any better? Like I said does not look anything like a what I see while searching images of Sea Spiders.

Attachments

• IMAG0096_1.jpg
    IMAG0096_1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
I have seen water spiders on top of the pond I grew up on in Lakeville ,MA but I have never seen any saltwater spiders except a spider crab ...Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing! I guess you can find just about anything coming in with live rock!

Wow that is disgusting. That will make anyone think twice before placing a hand in their tank. Did you see it eating any coral? I read the reef keeping article and it said that they are predatory.

Thanks TankCla, that looks the closest to anything else I have seen. I have removed the spider from the tank!

TallBall, luckily the tank is still relatively new and I have no coral for it to munch on.

Creeped me out when I was cleaning up though thats for sure.

Thanks everyone!

Where are you located? Where did you get the rock from? Do not release the spider, you don't want to introduce an alien specie into your native fauna. Donate it to your local aquarium/zoo/museum/university/school.

Back