Need ID, Spider in tank out of nowhere!

I'm an arachnologist and I agree that it looks a lot like Desis martensi, although I'd need to see the spider to be certain. Staying submerged for so long doesn't fit their known ecology, but maybe the spider was retreating to the top of your tank - do you see any silk up in the corners or the overflow where the animal would have been out of the water?

Also, just curious...where did you get your live rock?

dang, i would have kept it and tried to create some sort of biotope, although that may b difficult since it sounds like they hunt at low tide, and are only submerged at high tide.

Really cool though.

I did not see any webs or silk in the tank, just the spider cruising around on the live rock.

I purchased most of my rock from a local store near O'Hare airport named Xzotic Aqautic World. It's a great little store who has helped me get setup and dealt with all my questions in the process.

I would have liked to keep the spider a few days but took it out during my lunch break from work and did not have time to find a seperate tank/holding until I could take it to the shop. Being a new NanoCube runner and new to the hobby, I have heard the quicker a problem is taken care of the better since things can go wrong very fast. So I get rid of it.

This may be what gets me to wear my gloves when I put my hands in the tank. :eek1: Just bought a good bit of live rock I've had cycling and now I'm a touch paranoid. Thanks!

that's a cool looking spider! u should've kept it. then accidently get bitten by it while doing the tank maintenance, and u could become a spiderman! :D

Sup.
images

Now that guys cute! it the shady spiders that get me, with their slinky bodies and long legs, running 40 mph!! basically, if their natural stance is legs stretched they bug me (heh no pun intended), if their legs are in a natural upside down U shape their okay with me.

I know this thread is a week old but wow, this thoroughly creeped me out. If my wife saw this, she'd never help clean the tank again - please delete this thread immediately....LOL :)

I threw a terrestrial spider in my freshwater tank once for the fish to eat. It floated down to the bottom and to my surprise grabbed a hold of some of the rocks and crawled along them like it was above water. Freaked me out a bit. This could be a land spider or that one that someone posted. Either way I doubt it is harmful to humans.

Back