Need plumbing advice!

Samkennedy

Hello! First saltwater tank and we picked it up used. It was already drilled by the previous owner. My husband did some updates to the tubing. We finally filled up the tank but are running into a big problem: we can’t keep the water level steady. It either slowly goes up or slowly goes down. All of the holes are at the same height. How can we fix this? Picture included. Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

Attachments

• 76D8CD61-C52A-4707-9AB9-6401F1DE8F00.jpeg
    76D8CD61-C52A-4707-9AB9-6401F1DE8F00.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • A2E75046-E1E4-4978-B1B3-0D1060D93EF7.jpeg
    A2E75046-E1E4-4978-B1B3-0D1060D93EF7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Ball valves are harder to fine tune than gate valves. Having said that, make the smallest adjustment possible then wait 10 minutes to see the true effect, rince repeat.

@BeanAnimal

Have a look here

The far left valve (the standpipe with the fitting drilled into the elbow) should be fully open.

The middle standpipe should be used to adjust the water level. Explained in detail on my site.

The caps and elbows must all be 100% air tight. Air leaks cause imbalances.

Read the site and give it another try. I will be around later to help.

Have a look here

The far left valve (the standpipe with the fitting drilled into the elbow) should be fully open.

The middle standpipe should be used to adjust the water level. Explained in detail on my site.

What, are you some kind of expert on the Bean Animal overflow or something?😂

Have a look here

Thank you very much!! We made some of the adjustments and it held the same water level all night!! I’m going to keep reading though and hopefully we can get it a little quieter. We added that airline too and that was definitely helpful. One question I do have for you… the two pieces coming down into the overflow, the left standpipe and the middle standpipe, are the pieces coming down into the overflow box the same length or is the middle one slightly longer?

Back