Need skimmer recommendations please

Sugar Magnolia

Mother of Dachshunds
Staff member
RC Mod
Hi all, my 30 cube has been running since Jan '04 with an AquaC Remora skimmer. About six months ago the skimmer just started barely skimming. After a thorough soak in vinegar, cleaning all parts and replacing the MJ, it still won't produce much skimmate. I think it has just skimmed it's last skim. :(

Time for a new skimmer! Woo! Unfortunately, I am not made of money so the Deltec MCE 300 is out. :( Since I have been out of the loop as far as new skimmers go, I'll need some advice and recommendations.

Clearance behing tank is about 5". No sump, so hang on skimmers only.

Thanks!!

Tagging along.
just cleaned mine with acid and it's skimming a bit better but about the same. at a time these were the best. Do you have a large fish load?

a brush down the collecion cup tube every 4 days is vital for the remora I have found....your skimmer might be fine.

that said: Warner Marine H1.

I keep the collection keep clean---every other day or so.

I only have one fish and a few shrimp---it never really skimmed a ton on this tank.
just wondering if there have been any major advancments since i last was in the game for a skimmer

Five years ago, the Remora was the skimmer to have. That and the BakPak. I have done everything I possibly can to get it to skim, next step is taking it out back and putting it out of it's misery. :D

Low bioload, misbar clown, fridmani dottyback, yasha goby and blue neon goby.

understood...its old enough to call it quits I guess. seriously, warner marine H1....if I were to get a HOB, thats the one. Aquacave has them.

the warner marine is also more than 50% more expensive.. It's like saying a BMW 3 series (about 30,000) is better than a Ford Fusion (about 20,000).. of course it's better.. but it's more expensive.

I'm leaning toward the Tunze nano. it's not a hang on back, but it's also not an in-sump model

Back