Need some advice and opinions please

chris31

Ok so to keep this short and to the point I have a standard 20g that I was to make into a basic reef setup. I'm living in a appt so space is limited and I can't have my 75 set up so the 29 will have to do until I move out. So where I'm going to put itmthenonly option I really have is a HOB. Is this worth it? I've always had sumps with skimmers and what not on my tanks so this is a little new to me. What's the best way to go about setting up this aquarium? PLEASE HELP IM GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWELS HERE!!!

I have a 17gallon tank and I don't have any filters, pumps, skimmers, or refugium. I simply have 3 power heads, a heater, and a light. I do a 2 or 3 gallon water change every 7-10 days and have had the tank for over a year now with a mixed reef. As long as you do the water changes, you don't really need the skimmer or filters IMO.

I had an Aquaclear that I turned into a fuge on my 12 long. I also had 2 pumps/powerheads - a Koralia nano at one end (the tank was 36" long) and a little Red Sea at the other end with the Aquaclear. Some corals really like flow.

Currently, I have a CPR Bak Pak HOB skimmer and an Aquclear on my 40 breeder and 2 powerheads, one on each end. I've never used a sump.

Ok thanks everyone for the great advise ill most likely go with the aquaclear. What lighting do you guys suggest? I'll be doing mostly soaps and shrooms nothing to crazy. Any other advice that you guys can give as equipment to look into?

30" lights are hard to find, but if you do find one, a dual t5ho would work.

You could also try a clamp on LED bulb, one may do the trick.

A Koralia nano for flow can't hurt :)

Yea I'm gonna use some korolias I have some laying around from old tanks really a filter and light are the only things I need to find

I have a 20g false biotope SPS / LPS reef that I have no mechanical filteration on. It's been running for a good 3 months or so now.

For water movement I have a small Sicce powerhead and a Koralia Nano, each on either side of the tank.

For heating a small 50w heater.

For lighting... a single Kessil A150w Sky Blue (the far sides of the aquarium are a little dim, doesn't prevent the Caulerpa and Halimeda from growing there though)

For filtration...

- 4-inch DSB (collected from the reefs around my beach house)
- Two large pieces of LR, roughly around 7 KG.
- Caulerpa that I harvest monthly.
- Halimeda
- Chaeto Ball
- A single mangrove tree
- Water change of 5g once a week with local reef water (if i go to the beach house that weekend), or with a synthetic salt mix + distilled water.

The only thing about running this system skimmer-less is that I need to "skim" the surface of the water daily with a pitcher to remove oil's and waste that eventually collect from fish waste.

The only inhabitant I have in the tank is a 1.5 inch Volitan's Lionfish. (He decimated my pod population and is now being fed baby guppies from my pond)

I don't really have algae growth on the glass, it's just a very thin and barely noticeable layer that the micro-fauna usually eat up by the next day so I don't really have to clean the tank glass but once a week.

Overall I'm happy with it. Hope this helps / gives you idea's for your own reef ecosystem.

On my old 25g, I had a HOB CPR Aqaufuge. This increased gallonage by about 3g. It also worked great as a fuge. My particular Aquafuge model also had a built-in skimmer. A friend also an Aquafuge minus the built-in skimmer so he also had a HOB skimmer.

I would go with a kick-*** skimmer, skip the CPRs and Remoras and go for the nice Reef Octopus that puts the pump underneath. That thing kicks butt.

I have a 56 gal FOWLR with a HOB marineland 350 and a HOB aquatop pse1 skimmer. So far so good. The skimmer is a bit bubbly but other than that it keeps my tank clean.

We had a very successful 30 long that ran on a Penguin rolling filter. Keep your salt balance, maintain some cheato in it, no more than two micro-fish and some snails and hermits and hardy corals like discosoma and buttons, and you're good.

I would use standard size hang on the back filter and use it as a media reactor and put up 2 or 3 of the cheap led screw in bulbs they worked great for me for a year and a half on a 5 gallon mix reef. I also only had one fish in it but it was packed full with corals

Back