Need some advice ASAP!!

rstar26

Ive been hearing an odd sound from my tank this past evening, and i was curious so i took alook all around tonight and noticed that the bottom trim on my tank is all cracking and bowing out, should i be draining the tank right now, do i need that trim? the tank about a year old and has i belive a 5 year warranty, i am starting to panic the brace on the bottom is all bowed out.but i thought that trim was aesthetic. that bottom trim raises the tank so the bottom doesnt sit on anything. I am using an AGA stand. Any advice would be great!!

dfe81c74.jpg

e56776cc.jpg

7994d0c1.jpg

907d27b4.jpg

0065e349.jpg

016d487d.jpg

It looks like with the tank sagging to the side with the broken trim its causing the stand to split as well.... I am at a loss for what to do at 2am....

Yes, you need to drain the tank. It's only a matter of time before the bottom seam lets go.

I'd guess that your stand has failed due to moisture/salt creep & the sagging has caused the tank damage.

Yeah, that is a replace ASAP situation. It's now affected the tank, the stand is structurally deteriorating and the end is near.

Or maybe the stand was not fully supported on the end where it is cracking and the tanks rigidity has been compromised as a result. If it were me I would not hesitate to transfer everything into another temporary tank,etc.. Sounds as if your tank and stand are shot and the cracking you hear along with the bulging are a warning to move quickly. Hope you make out well!

Its been a long night sitting beside my baby. Its time to do something about it. Should i just remove the bottom trim, and build a new stand after inspecting the condition of the glass?

I feel for ya, rstar... that is the nightmare of nightmares... (followed closely by that guy who kid filled the sump with dishsoap cuz 'it need bubbles')

If it were me... (I would still be drunk, but after that) I would try to assess where the fail point is, without putting stress on anything... and then, after I figured out, that it was impossible to determine without it exploding, I would get a temp setup done fast! And drain that beast.

Good luck to ya, Rstar... hope it works out with minimal damage.

Likely the tank seam has started to let go. I say this because you mentioned bowing & the trim would only crack if the glass moved. That is not a good sign.

I would contact your LFS or manufacturer about the tank warranty & grab another stand. Make sure the all four corners of the stand sit on the floor with an empty tank. Leaving a corner unsupported even slightly could possibly cause this issue also.

Also, there are tons of deals out there for used tanks/stands if you can't spend the dough for new equipment. Craigslist & local reef clubs are a good source for tanks.

The whole tank wans supported until this all happened last night. The tank has been running for a year and a half and i had it PERFECTLY level. Last night i noticed the water on the one side higher than usual then found the bottom trim all broken. I think the trim breaking has caused a lean in the tank, which stressed the stand which is now listed a half inch off to the side.... guhhhhhhhh

Back