Need some advice on tankmate additions

Slayer33

Hello all,

I recently moved from a Fluval 13.5 evo tank to a 58 gallon w/20 gallon sump tank.

I want to add some new fish but when talking to ppl at my LFS I keep getting different answers from different ppl on what is safe and not safe when keeping LPS and fish.

I want to keep the peaceful environment in my tank, but my family (daughter and wife) want to add some questionable fish where when I ask the LFS' they all say different things.

Currently I have 50lbs of live rock, and with that coral frags of GSP (isolated on a rock of its own, meteor shower frag, zoanthid frags, montipora frag, hairy mushroom frag and a small rose bubble tip anemone.

For inverts, I have 5 sexy shrimp, tiger pistol shrimp, a porcelain crab, a peppermint shrimp, 4 hermit crabs, 2 large strawberry top snail, a couple nassarius snails and some astrea snails.

For fish I have, 2 small clowns, a melanarus wrasse, yellow watchman goby, tailspot blenny, a tiny engineer goby, a green mandarin and a recently added purple firefish.

I intend to add some more inverts and snails for my CUC.. considering adding another cleaner shrimp (used to have an aggressive one) and maybe a tiger cowrie. Also a few more corals.. maybe some acans, favia or frogspawn..

And here is where I need some help with.... For fish, this is our wishlist of potential candidates:

Royal Gramma Basslet, Flame Angel, Lemon Peel Angel, spotted garden eel, porcupine puffer, lawnmower blenny, diamond watchman goby...

obviously if you have any other suggestions on colorful and peaceful fish to add to my current list that'd be great.

i wouldn't trust any angel outside of the Genicanthus genus around my LPS, and even then i would still be suspicious. i would fully expect any dwarf angels to nip at LPS. YMMV, but i would be very wary there.

you already have a blenny, i would be worried about aggression issues with two similar blenny's in such a small tank.

i wouldn't trust any kind of eel within a mile of my dragonet, or most of my other small fish.

puffer is a no go for most reef tanks, and can even take chunks out of other fish. they're mostly best kept with larger fish/soft corals (if any corals).

given your tank size and your current stock list i would consider that well stocked for you size. so i probably wouldn't be looking to add anything else. if you put a gun to my head i'd say roll the dice on the gramma, but the other things on your list are questionable at best with your tank size and stocking choices.

Dwarf Angels (Flame or Lemon) usually get very aggressive when placed in a tank under 75 gallons, and even in tanks under 150 gallons they can become problematic as they mature so if you want a peaceful tank that would rule out those two. The Puffer is a no go for a couple of reasons, it needs a much larger tank (180 gallons), they are aggressive and it will eat your shrimp. The eel will eat any fish that will fit in its mouth, is aggressive and will also eat your shrimp. The Diamond Golby is likely going to out-compete your Mandarin for food (pods) so I would not add one. Your Mandarin is likely to slowly starve even if you don't add a Golby, your tank is just not large enough unless you have a huge refugium to produce enough pods for it to eat. That leaves you with the Royal Gramma or the Lawnmower Blenny (a Starry Blenny would be a less aggressive easier to keep alternative) although you may have aggression issues with the yellow watchman goby. As posted above you already have a large fish population in the tank, but if you must add a fish I would chose the Royal Gramma.

Royal Gramma and Lawnmower great choices......you don't want to overstock, create tension and get ich. Go slow try 1 or both but make sure you QT for 30 days with copper treatment. Grammas are another famous ich carrier, but great additions afterwards.

Back