Need some direction, guys

coogarts

I'm in the planning stage of making a small sump for my 20g display, probably around a 12 - 15g sump. I had first thought about acrylic, but getting it shipped makes the cost of even cheap material double. I then thought about using a glass aquarium and installing baffles, but I haven't a clue as to where I could get glass cut.

So my question to those of you with tons more time in the hobby than myself (and hopefully experience with DIY) is there anywhere in DE I can get my hands on acrylic or a place where I can buy and have glass cut?

just about any glass shop in the phone book will have acrylic in stock along with Home Depot and Lowes. and glass shops will cut glass to any size you need.

what part of De do you live in? if your up north i can give you the names of some good glass shops

better yet....do what Mr DIY GreenEyedBlackCat suggested to me and by a glass tank and use acrylic baffles. you can get a sheet of 1/4" acrylic at homedepot for $12 and cut it with a dremel. use a $3 tube of silicone to adhere the acrylic to the glass. here is one i helped my friend build. everything together was less than $50 including the 20gal tank and diamond bit to drill through the glass for return and sensors. the one Jim helped me build works like a champ.

shawn :bum:

Cutting sheet glass yourself isn't too hard: you need a cutter (cheap), a good ruler, a steady and strong hand, and patience. Measure carefully, set your steel ruler in place, draw one unbroken, unhesitating line down the desired cut, place the scored line over the edge of any table/counter, and tap gently down the cut, holding your hand ready to receive the cut piece as it drops off. If you've drawn a strong, sure groove, it will part exactly there. You do not near need to go any depth into the glass. This works on plain, untempered glass. You'll want several scrap 'practice' pieces until you learn the right pressure and stroke.

Sk8r, I may need to go through quite a few practice sheets, but that's a definite option.

Logans_daddy, what kind of silicone do you use for an acrylic to glass bond?

any silicone will work(except for bathroom/kitchen) and they do make "aquarium safe" silicone. i get it free from work. i used GE windows/doors on the first sump.

I made my fuge from a ten gallon tank and glass that i got cut at sears for real cheap. And you can get many designs on the web and find the one that you want. Also doing the silicone is real easy, just make sure that you have something to rest the glass on to keep it in place while you are working. goodluck

Logans_daddy, I appreciate the input, but I have one last question. Where in Home Depot can I find the acrylic, and does the acrylic go by a specific name?

Cmondo, you got glass cut at Sears? Where?

the acrylic from HD can be found in the lumber department, plexiglass is acrylic. just remember that silicone doesnt adhere to well to acrylic so if you have any water pressure the seal will break

i dont know mmbuna...once it sets its on there pretty good. i can grab one of my baffles and lift the entire fuge by it. but i also used a LOT of silicone. also....there isnt much pressure on the baffles at all. here is a great site with plenty of example fuges.

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

btw....im not sure if the north wilmington HD is layed out like the one in new castle, but the acrylic is on the end of the windows and doors isle with the lexan.

shawn:bum:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6939526#post6939526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by logans_daddy
i dont know mmbuna...once it sets its on there pretty good.

that was just a heads up:D but if you want to see my broken sump baffles you can stop by any time;)

no...i definitely believe you.....but as you can see from my pic....my philoshpy when it comes to silicone that you will never see... MORE IS BETTER.

I think cmondo and I both get our glass from sears hardware in the college square shopping center in Newark
'
they have cheap glass and cheap cuts - maybe $.50 a cut - although they've cut it for me plenty of times for free (just charged me for the pane of glass that I bought) total cost for a pane of double-layer glass was like $10 - if you can find some pieces in their scrap heap, it will be even cheaper ;)

Thanks Nick, yeah that is where I got my glass, but i think i got lucky cuz all of my glass totalled up to 3 bucks for all the baffles.

lol - yeah, last time I was there, my bill was 50 cents since it was scrap and I only wanted one cut, but I wouldn't want to quote that price to anyone and have them be dissappointed :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6944487#post6944487 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MadTownMax
I think cmondo and I both get our glass from sears hardware in the college square shopping center in Newark
'
they have cheap glass and cheap cuts - maybe $.50 a cut - although they've cut it for me plenty of times for free (just charged me for the pane of glass that I bought) total cost for a pane of double-layer glass was like $10 - if you can find some pieces in their scrap heap, it will be even cheaper ;)

Sears cuts glass? I had no idea. I'd imagine this would be done in the hardware section, correct?

the sears that we're referring to is just a hardware store (sign reads "Sears Hardware") - I don't think other Sears' would do the same.

It is located in the College Square shopping center - Take I-95 to 273 towards newark, the shopping center is at the intersection of 273 and 72 (kirkwood HWY).

You guys have been amazing. I appreciate it.

Ok, this is my last question in regards to this issue. When I go to this Sears, what kind of glass should I ask for and what kind of sealant should I purchase?

Back