Need some help setting up a kalk reactor

Spartanman22

I bought a second hand PM kalk reactor and am thoroughly confused as to how to set it up. The reactor has the two inlets on the top. On is connected to tubing that travels to the bottom of the reactor (I believe this is the inlet), and then the other hole would be the outlet. That part makes sense. The confusing part is on the pump portion there is a T on the inlet to the mixing pump. One side of the T feeds the water to the pump to mix, and the other end has an inlet for small tubing. I am very confused as to what this is for. Initially I thought this was the RODI inlet but after looking around I am to believe that the opening on the top of the reactor is the inlet.

spartanman22

The black line and the line that goes to the bottom were probably 1 line divided into 2 to act as a supplemental feed line?Most Kalk reactors only have an inlet and outlet.You can just ''T'' off your feed line into 2 to keep it running the same,or just cap off where the black line is now.

Its most likely a drain line so you can remove some water to add more kalk mix to the reactor. The Geo unit I have is pretty much the same in its design and has a valve to let some water out for cleaning/filling/etc

Its seen here
http://www.geosreef.com/products/kalkwasser-reactors

BTW the line going to the bottom is the inlet and the other that takes water from the lid area is the outlet(wont pull slurry mix)

ok thanks for the help and as far as a mixing schedule would like five minutes on every 4-5 hours be good? Also, does it matter if it is topping off while the pump is on mixing? Will this cause any issues? I've never used kalk before so I just want to make sure everything is done perfectly.

ok thanks for the help and as far as a mixing schedule would like five minutes on every 4-5 hours be good? Also, does it matter if it is topping off while the pump is on mixing? Will this cause any issues? I've never used kalk before so I just want to make sure everything is done perfectly.

Hope you dont mind the help from a non CMAS member LOL

The way its designed it should not have slurry mix all the way to the top if its mixing. It should go 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up. Its the reason the out port is on the lid with no tubing extending down.
If refilling the reactor with Kalk the best thing to do is top your tank of a little full so the top off wont kick in right away. It gives the reactor time to settle the slurry mix to the bottom a little and prevents slurry pumping out. You will see what I mean the first time you fill it up as its all white.

I had mine come on for 1 min 6 times a day and it worked fine. 5 min in this style reactor is a little long as it keeps it mixed up under smaller time frames.

Hope it helps....

Ok, one last question. Should the solution being added to the tank be completely clear? Or, will it be somewhat cloudy? I'm currently letting ro water run through it and out into a bucket to let it settle down a bit before I connect it to the float switch.

Ok, one last question. Should the solution being added to the tank be completely clear? Or, will it be somewhat cloudy? I'm currently letting ro water run through it and out into a bucket to let it settle down a bit before I connect it to the float switch.

If I understand what you're doing, cleaning it out like GFO, then stop. Let it settle by itself. Later it will run clear.

Ok thanks. I put it online this morning and it created a white film in the section of my sump where the ATO is so I added a small pump in there to get some small flow to break it up. Is it normal that it is slightly milky?

Back