Need some ideas…

Jimbo13wl

I just ordered a 12" AIO cube for a little contest on NR
It starts in about 2wks and I'm trying to work on my game plan
I need something that's really going to stand out and work in a tank that small! Any suggestions on livestock or setup would be greatly appreciated!!!

The Rules:
- spending limit of $250 for livestock
- no sumps allowed, No adding HOB fuges, canister filter's, etc. to avoid adding volume
- Any filtration you add has to be within the aquarium or back chambers.
- No chillers outside, no HOB skimmers, no closed loop that goes outside..
- you cannot directly alter the design of the aquarium in any way, as in drilling or cutting the acrylic. Painting is allowed.

Thank-you
Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15444055#post15444055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by g8gxp
Pair of moorish idols

Ya it would be a little tight! LOL
Minimum Tank Size Suggested: 100 gallons.

The Tank:
Display will be 12"x12"x9" since the back will be sectioned off at 3" with a false wall

pic24705.jpg

pic02815.jpg

Pump: MJ 900
Lighting: LED's
Everything else: undecided

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448210#post15448210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blue63104
Midas blenny with a small rock with several holes and cb shrimp.

I really like the Midas Blenny, but don't they get to big?

They can get up to 5" but guess I was thinking that since this was a contest it would be "short term" and the blenny could then be housed in a 30 gal. plus tank. They are comical little creatures to watch.

That is true, the contest is only for 6 mths. People are just anal on NR about keeping livestock in tanks that are too small"¦
(God help you if you put a tang in a nano!) :p

Maybe a flaming prawn goby! too small?

pic04827.jpg

Well, what type of livestock do you have experience with already? Also, are you going to tear down the tank after the contest is over?
How much are you looking to spend--to the max?

I would try to decide on a theme based on what you think you can successfully keep.

A few themes that popped into my head.

#1. A cold water tank with catalina gobies and some cold water inverts. (how cold can you keep your house if not using a chiller ;) )

#2. Jellyfish tank (low flow, low light)

#3. Seahorse tank with lots of macro algae for hiding and attachment (also low flow)

#4. Mantis tank (easiest of the suggestions, and probably the cheapest) You could probably pick up a peacock that would be comfortable in the 12g (around 3.5-4in or so).

#5. Frogfish (don't have personal experience with them), but go with black sand for enhanced contrast.

#6. Brackish--species include Mollies, puffers, archers and others

#7. Non-photosynthetic with lots of sun corals (black, yellow, orange), gorgonians, maybe some sponges and some colorful fish (probably need a tunze nano skimmer though to deal with the bioload and feedings). Maybe a couple of orange lined cardinals and a few neon and clown gobies, or a hawkfish, or a pseudochromis/basslet.

All of these themes are not the typical reef tank and should set you apart from the crowd. Also, heavy duty lighting is not required.

Yashi goby, rainsford goby, hector goby, starry blenny, tiger goby(the orange/black/white striped one...I think they are naturally a brackish fish tho), red scooter blenny, a sixline wrasse(he needs to be last one in) and a shrimp(scarlett or skunk). I would try for another mid water swimming fish besides the sixline like a firefish, clownfish or wrasse. Don't think I stayed under the $250 but, I am just listing some possiblities. I'll leave the bugeting to you because that all depends on when and where.

Peacock Mantis shrimp is a cool idea but, I've heard they can break glass tanks.

Not sure if the tank is big enough but, what about a cuttlefish? What a crazy looking critter!

Thank-you for the great ideas! This is going to be a hard decision. It's a 12 inch cube 5.6g so that rules a lot out.

schudini
My experience has been w/ reef tanks mostly softies & LPS
I plan to spend the full $250 & will likely use the tank for frags or a QT after the contest........

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15450179#post15450179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jimbo13wl
Thank-you for the great ideas! This is going to be a hard decision. It's a 12 inch cube 5.6g so that rules a lot out.

schudini
My experience has been w/ reef tanks mostly softies & LPS
I plan to spend the full $250 & will likely use the tank for frags or a QT after the contest........

Ahh, only 12 inches, not gallons. I misread.

If it was me, I'd still go with lots of non-photo (which grow fast) and some gobies. Maybe black sand for contrast.

Most people in those contests just yank out some colonies out of their other tanks and stuff them in the small tank temporarily. But that's not exactly in the spirit of the competition.

What would look really cool would be a very large closed brain that takes up almost all of the volume (like 9" diameter). Expensive probably.

Expensive, but that would look really cool!
I do have a large sun coral & a dendro frag in my other tank... :confused:

Back