Need some skimmer advice

camaroguy

I am currently running a standard 125 gallon aquarium with a BeanAnimal style overflow pushing ~1800GPH through my sump. I have refugium section first which houses my Cheato and a little bit of live rock, followed by the return section with eaters and dosing pump outlets.

I currently run a Hydor Performer 505 with the feed pump located before my refugium section. The skimmer itself is outside the sump. I want to move the skimmer inside the sump for more space in the cabinet. This can be done with my current skimmer, but I am also thinking this skimmer might be underpowered for this aquarium. I have a couple of acropora species in the tank and really like them. I will probably get some more in the future.

I thought about upgrading to the Hydor Performer 705, but then got to looking at Reef Dynamics and Vertex Alpha's. From what I gather, these skimmers are quite good/top of the line. I can't seem to find much information on the Hydors except that people think they do a good job.

What would you guys recommend if I was going to switch skimmers? I don't like throwing money away, but don't mind spending it, if the product really is better.

Can anybody offer some advice here?

I saw some Reef Octopus Elite skimmers this weekend that looked nice. They looked like clones of the Vertex Alphas w/out titanium screws and such. Problem is they only have lines that are recommended for 200 Gallon with heavy demand, or 130 Gallon with heavy demand. Also I haven't had the best of luck with their first gen DC return pump I am using.

Reef dynamics makes excellent stuff. They do not have many of the gimmicks that these newer skimmers have however they work extremely well. I prefer their xrc line vs ins however all work quite well. They do cost a bit more vs the other skimmers mentioned which is partially due to where they are made. USA vs China

I know nothing about hydor skimmers thus no comment. The vertex alpha cone skimmers use to be made by bubble king however they are now made in China if I recall. Many are pleased with their performance and also on the various octopus skimmers.

I think it's worth the money getting the reef dynamics. I would also suggest going to their site and watching the videos he has of his products

Thanks for the advice guys. A couple of questions:
1. Is it true that a skimmer should go into an "idle" mode if its sized right, or does that just mean there is a chance that it is never going to have enough waste to stabilize the foam?
2. Are the reef dynamics skimmers pretty quiet? I don't see any use of rubber or silicone to isolate vibrations.

Back