Need Suggestions on flow - 20 Cube

Jasontkd

Hey all, I am planning a Waterbox 20 gallon cube build and I am not sure where to go on powerheads. A little background; I have been out of the hobby for about 5 years and am finally coming back. Prior to that I had a 40 gallon breeder SPS dominant tank. In that tank I ran a decent sized return pump and two Tunze 6045's for flow.

In this cube, I am thinking I will mix up the corals and keep some softies and LPS while scattering in a few SPS. I was originally thinking about getting a couple of Tunze 6025's for flow, but there are so many different powerheads available now that weren't around 5 years ago.

I am not looking to blow the bank on powerheads, but I don't want to buy junk. I don't like the Koralia pumps because the dimensions are too big for a small tank. I am really interested in the IceCap 1K Gyre, but I am open to suggestions.

Would the 1 K Gyre give me the flexibility to keep any coral type? Is it overkill? Would I be better off with 2 tunze 6025's? Or are there other options I am missing? I would like to stay under $150 for all my powerheads.

Back