need to buy new QT tank

Anthony357

I have an opportunity to get a nice 28 gallon setup, built in protein skimmer/etc in the back part of the tank. My question is, i have a 90 currently with 7 fish in there, totaling about 23 inches of fish. Would this tank be big enough to house all these fish for a time period of 1-2 months? I believe there is ich in my DT and the only way to rid it completely is to move them all out and let it die off. But im wondering if this tank will not be big enough...I currently have:

Starry Blenny
Pair of Clowns
Small Pac Blue Tang
Small Vlamingi Tang
Melanurus Wrasse
Coral Beauty

i currently dont have that much room where im at so thats why i was leaning towards this route... I also have a 15 gallon tall one i could maybe put a couple in there as well to help balance out the load... Any suggestions? Thanks

Tough situation here. Those qt tanks are pretty small for all those fish. Is Petco still doing their tank sale? If so, you can score a couple 40 breeders or 55s.

Are there any invertebrates you care about in the display tank? Hypo might be a good option.

On a side note: I love 5/7 of your stock list. The blue tang gets too big for a 90, and the naso gets waaaayyyy too big at nearly two feet. Would be a good time to unload them, making qt easier.

Yeah i agree with the tangs. I will have a much much larger home for them in about 9 months. They are small now, maybe about 3" long. I have 3 skunk shrimp, and a decent amount of snails/hermits/emerald crab. So i'd rather not do anything differently with the DT. Maybe i could put the 2 clowns and Blenny in the 15, and the other 4 in the 28 for the ich-killing time period? I also found a nice 65 gallon on craigslist which would probably be ok to house all of them at once, i just dont really have the space for that big of a tank. I could have 2 small ones though which is why i was leaning maybe towards that way. Already have all the powerheads/heaters/etc needed to run the two small QTs. I also found a nice 54gal corner style tank at petco for fairly cheap. 275 I believe for tank/lid/stand combo which seemed like a good deal as well

According to Petco website, you still have a couple days to get a couple 40s for 40$ each, or 55s for 55$. I would go that route and do tank transfer method.

The smaller tanks you listed would work, perhaps. How are you planning on treating the fish?

I have some good copper product that i was going to add to the QTs. Remove the carbon filtration from the filters and turn off the protein skimmer. The 28 gallon has live rock in it, i was thinking of moving a little bit of it to the DT to add to that, but i wanted to leave some for the fish to swim in/around in the QT. Although that will kind of suck out the medications im dosing some wont it?

I believe the liverock will absorb the copper, yes. Big PVC fittings work well, and won't absorb any medication.

I could always keep the live rock in the copper/QT, even when i put the fish back in the main tank...I could use this as a QT for new additions as well. I thought about getting a small fuzzy lion or eel to maybe house once the ich breakout is treated and the fish all return to the DT. Then i could use the 15 to QT each new addition, I just am in a little bind with trying to treat the whole tank at once.

I could always keep the live rock in the copper/QT, even when i put the fish back in the main tank...I could use this as a QT for new additions as well. .

Usually not recommended, because it makes it tough to keep the Cu levels in spec.

Would the small tank with live rock kill off the ich over time if i didnt dose anything to it? Or once its on/in a fish, it needs to be treated with medication to kill off? Maybe i could put the two clowns and blenny in the small (15) tank, and dose nothing to it, since those fish are the ones that seem the least effected by this. And then dose the 28 with copper and 4 other fish. I have some pvc piping i could add to that tank so they have stuff to swim around/hide inside.

I could always keep the live rock in the copper/QT, even when i put the fish back in the main tank...I could use this as a QT for new additions as well. I thought about getting a small fuzzy lion or eel to maybe house once the ich breakout is treated and the fish all return to the DT. Then i could use the 15 to QT each new addition, I just am in a little bind with trying to treat the whole tank at once.

I wouldn't use the rock. If it absorbs medication, there's less than you intended for the fish. This also means that the next fish in the QT will be affected by whatever medications you have used.

I'd also go with the 55 for the tangs.

Any tank that has one of these fishes will have to go fishless for 72 days or be treated with hyposalinity or copper.

All fish need to be treated with either Cu, hyposalinity, or ttm.

you mean any of the fish that were in the DT have to be treated, right?

I might look for little bit bigger sized QT, but need to find a good one i can fit in my place lol

im going to run copper in the QT and put all of those fish in there from the DT, and let it run for 6-8 weeks and see how they look then. Found a couple good deals on some 50ish gallon tanks that im going to go look at today

Back