Need to know a good camera for around 500

Wicked1z

I also posted this in the camera forum but since I dont know how active that forum is I thought I would post it here also. I am not a pro by any stretch of the means. I have a pretty decent point and click camera. Its an old nikon coolpix 4100. It takes decent pics. I want to step up into a whole new world though. I like the feel of an SLR but I think that will be way out my league. Since tax time is here I want to get something under 700. prefer around 500 since im looking at an open box special on a cam corder also. can someone help me out here? Would perfer auto focas with manual adjustment so I can start using it right away. I love macro shots and I want to start taking pics of my corals also. But I also want some crisp pics when I go to the drag strip and get stuck in bad seats. Since some of you post awesome coral pics I thought you might be able to help me out on this also.

Thanks for all your help.

Have you looked at the nikon d40. you can get the body and a lens combo for around $500. I have a nikon and couldn't be happier with it. I have a higher end one, but I do know some people who have the d40 and they are happy with the camera.

I was hoping to not make a full jump into DSLR yet. For my budget I would never be able to afford the lenses that I would wish to use. What do you guys think about the Sony 8.1 MP Cyber-shot DSC-H9/B? I have been reading good reviews on it.

Well, it's an SLR, but we just got a Pentax K100D Super...and I luv it! Still need to play with it a lot...but I'm so glad we didn't go with the Canon or Nikon models we looked at. I suppose what I like about this is that I can encorporate all my 'old school' skills with digital...

You can get a great DSLR for your budget!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

The vendor I linked is generally accepted to be the best in the business and they have a great price of $469 on this model. The packaged lens is also respectable and will serve you well for a long time to come until you decide to save up and upgrade.

Just a quick note, you will notice that this model is a little lower mega pixel at 6.1 than some of the other offerings. I encourage you not to buy into the hype. 6.1, especially when taken through Nikon glass and a quality sensor will blow you away and look great on prints large and small.

Here is a review if you want to read further. Take a look at the sample pics as well and comparisons.

For your price range I think you'll find the D40 to be a home run as many others have.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

I've had the Fuji FinePix for years...different models...and my current point and shoot is a Fuji...

...but it's not comparing as well as I would have liked to the Pentax...

Back