needle wheel or downdraft skimmer

kris6983

I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my skimmer on a 90g. Which is a better skimmer a downdraft skimmer like the etss or a needle wheel like asm? Please give the pro's and con's of both. thanks

from what i have learned:
NW use less power
DD uses a pressure pump or high flow pump with more power consumption.

efficiency: i think is more aa personal preference

I am building a monster DD (3600 GPH) and am thinking about making it a recirc with a NW.

I have never used a downdraft type skimmer, but I have been using an Aquamedic Turbofloater 1000 (Rio2100 with a needle wheel) for 4+ years. The Turbofloater is easy to tune for a wet or dry skimmate. Mine produces almost a full skimmer cup full every day of dark smelly skimmate. The pump only uses 18 watts of power. As far as using a Rio pump, I have to change the impeller (not the needle wheel) once a year due to wear. This is what I have found to be the weak link with Rios. The rest of the pump is 4 years old.

Re: needle wheel or downdraft skimmer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6954545#post6954545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kris6983
I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my skimmer on a 90g. Which is a better skimmer a downdraft skimmer like the etss or a needle wheel like asm? Please give the pro's and con's of both. thanks

Firstly, I wouldn't buy an etss or downdraft like. MRC and others makes very good and decently priced beckett skimmers (beckett better than DD IMO).

Where is tank located? If you're worried about noise, Beckett and DD skimmers make noise. If not, they are the best bang for the buck. NW skimmers are quiet and efficient, but in the scope of things, a 100w difference in power isn't going to do much when you probably have at least 600w in lights. If you want quiet, go NW. Both are good, both will clean your tank well (if you get good quality stuff). ASM is a good choice if you do NW...or ER or deltec.

Back