nemo eggs!questions...

NoobieNemo

today I noticed my ocellaris clowns have laid a lot of eggs at the base of my anemone for the first time. I was curious if there is any hope for these little babies?

i have the two clowns, yellow tang, blue tang, and a royal gramma in the tank (90 gal)

is there anything I can do to protect these guys? or will they all be eaten?

thanks

Noobie

You can try to raise them if you have alot of time on you hand but they will not live long in your main tank!

To remove them you are going to have to wait until they hatch and suck them out with a hose and using a flashlight to draw them near the hose "Make sure you have repalment water for them". The hatching will happen around a hour our two after lights go out! I'm sure your not going to want to do this on her first lay becuase you'll also need the right eqipment and "live food" to raise them. So to make the removing of the egg's simple wait for the first set of egg's to hatch and the next day after the hatch place a small tile where see laid her eggs and the next time she lays she'll most likely do it on the tile which you can remove. Mine lays her eggs two days after her last spawn hatch's! She'll lay and they will hatch about in about 7days and two days after that they hatch and so on like clock work! If you really want to get into raising the little guy I would get the book "Clown Fishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson. it has all you need to know!

If you have and iPod or iTunes you can subscribe to the Reefcast Podcast (for free) and download episode 11, which is all about breeding Clowns.

If I had more time and more importantly, some clown fish, I would probably give it a try.

Back