Neomaris is losing ground...

Mrs. Music

I quit using kalk in my ato, and the only change I see is the neo seems to be losing ground in the tank. It is a softy tank so I don't expect too much trouble on the coral front. Using kalk kepy my numbers consistent but who cares about that when you are growing more neo than coral!

Well neomeris algae does like high calcium but kalk also adds alkalinity. What are those levels with and without kalk. Softies use alk and calcium but less than stony corals so it's good to keep the alk near or over 7 fand the calcium over 350ppm for the softies ;so they can make spicules.

Thanks Tom. I have yet to check the levels. Some days I think of going FLOWLER so have not really cared! LOL. Buy now I am curious, so will check soon.

I forgot why I even stopped using kalk this summer. As I looked at my aquarium app I remembered. I quit kalk in the summer because I thought why bother, this tank has become more work thans it is worth, and ca is too high anyway. I had cut the kalk to 1 tsp per gallon but the ca was still 500. Then I just stopped dosing. Recently I noticed less neo and I was trying to figure out what changed. Anyhoo. kalk the ca was 500, and alk was 7.7. I will test later today.

I might try some nutrient control to see whether that helps. A bit of GFO might reduce the growth, and is easy to try.

Okay, I might try increase the GFO a bit. Is there any measurable phosphate currently? I'd guess not, but it'd be interesting to know.

Back