Neon Gobies..

Wind

Are these available and where? I was talking to a LFS and they had suggested neon gobies and gobies being less in the trade.

Any truth to this?

Been trying to order some for a while.

A neon goby is also known as an engineer goby. Can eat shrimp when it matures. They reach 12" at maturity. They will burrow and move your sand around as well.

And no they are not rare or less available in the trade. In general the fish are easy to catch so they are readily available.

I was hoping for the NEON BLUE ones, where do peopel order? They seem out of stock and hard to find, for a captive raised animal.

A neon gody is not the same fish as an engineer goby.

Neon gobies are caribean, and should be avalible to your lfs from any of their Florida suppliers.

They are great little fish. Get about 2" and are known cleaners.

Cleaner wrasse maybe? If so go with the african kind. They seem to live longer.

Quoted from a wholesalers price list. "Engineer (Neon) Goby" Many many people use the two names for the same fish. Might not be the same fish but it's a common name for it.

According to the LFS mentioned above.

Engineer Goby - Pholidichthys leucotaenia

Neon Goby - Gobiosoma oceanops

No expert, just relaying what I see.

I didn't make it up I promise :D. Any yes I agree nothing neon about white. I thought it was stupid too but thats what I found so I relayed it...

I'm not personally into gobies, thanks for the correction.

The neon goby Elactinus oceanops are still collected often from Florida/Caribbean collectors. These are also being aquacultured regularly as well, and would be a good source to look into. Even LA carries both of them.

Neon Goby - Gobiosoma oceanops are small relatively short lived fish that act as cleaners. Maximum size is two inches. Many of them are aquacultured. I seem them frequently on Drs. Foster and Smith Live Aquaria.

Gobiosoma was changed to Elactinus. E. oceanops is correct, the web site is out of date. I have E. macrodon myself and this is a great genera for fish, if on the small side

The Petco by me always has these in stock, and they are healthy too. They are great little fish, and will do a good job cleaning their tankmates just like cleaner wrasses. I kept a pair of them for a few years, and they spawned regularly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14149674#post14149674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryan115
The neon goby Elactinus oceanops are still collected often from Florida/Caribbean collectors. These are also being aquacultured regularly as well, and would be a good source to look into. Even LA carries both of them.

I would like to know where I could get these?

Thanks

ORA regularly offers them. They are a provider of aquacultured (captive bred and raised) fish. Only a business can order from them.

As mentioned above, most of the bigger on-line suppliers have these fish. Live Aquaria and That Fish Place have already been mentioned. Also mentioned, you can contact a collector in Florida where they are found in the wild. I believe it is against the rules to post about businesses that do not support RC (?) but all you have to do is a web search on ornamental fish collectors in Florida.

The Petco by me always has these in stock, and they are healthy too.

Petco is ORA's largest customer. Most people don't know that :p

As long as your Petco isn't too terrible, it's a good spot to pick these guys up.

Back