Neptune DOS for Auto Water Change - ABOVE or below Tank?

Pokerman11

My water mixing station is in my basement - it's a rise of 14' with overall length of ~25' from my tank on the main floor.

I have the DOS but can't figure out if I should put the DOS near the tank or down by the mixing station. Also running a ATOv2 from the mixing station area.

I have the long apex cord and extra apex power bar to connect if I choose to put DOS near the mixing station. As I'm also going to use the neptune ATOv2, I am going to have Apex run down there anyway. I've the John Guest fittings and converting the Neptune to use RO tube.

If the DOS is near the mixing station it will be below the tank and I worry about a siphon, especially for the water removal side as that tube has to be under the water line. While it won't be too deep in the sump. Still if a siphon happens it will cause issues as the ATO will kick in etc.

If I put the DOS up near the tank - I've been told they are noisy, as well as I don't have a lot of room up here. Like to do it downstairs.

Any tips from those that are using DOS for W/C with a mixing station on a lower level?

They do make some noise so if you are sensitive to that, then having it above your tank might be an issue since you will hear it. That said, if your sump is a basement setup, you could just draw from the sump downstairs and return to the sump. That said, the only way you would have to worry about a siphon is if the tubing breaks which isn't something I've experienced in the years that I've run a Dos. So having it downstairs should not be a concern. I'd set it up with John Guest fittings and add a John Guest valve between the Dos and the tank on the removal side so that you don't have to worry about siphons when you replace the peristaltic tubing.

Back