New 120g build - need advise

Silver_Stang

I have built a stand and just purchased a used 120g off of craigslist.
picture.php

picture.php

I have limited experience keeping corals. I would like to keep a wide variety of sps and softies in this tank. I am looking for advise on the following:

• type of protein skimmer
  • type of lighting - considering 2 MH and some t5's for atinics, i would like to try to get away with not using a chiller
  • Thinking about using either dry rock or florida aquacultued rock
  • type of DIY sump - considering eiter using a rubbermaid tub or a 75g
  • what type of system/pumps i should use for flow
  • method of calcium dosing
  • Type of substrate

Last edited:
1) I have an AquaC EV-180... I like it...
2) I have a 120 as well, running no chiller with (2)250w DE MH's and (2)96wPC's... You can keep anything with that I believe...
3) Go for a bulk order from Bulkreefsupply and see with some live rock.. It will take a while to get it all covered, but it will save money. Plus I have some of the BRS rock and its great. (Go for the ultra light weight stuff).
4) See here for excellent info: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
5) BRS 2 part...
6) CarribSea larger grain... it doesn't get shot around the tank from my gobies and powerheads.

Thinice- thanks for your input. I did order 20 lbs of BRS mixed rock a few months ago to see how I liked it. I think that is the method I am going to go with, I don't want to worry about unwanted pests that I would likely get with aquacultured rock. I agree with you that the lightweight stuff seems like the best rock. Interesting that you use 2 part for your calcium, that is what i used in my small 29 gallon, but i was under the impression that with a 120 gallon i would need a different system.

Dan, I replied to your PM on sump design.Very simple, but check out Melevs' designs. Makes mine look caveman! As far as calcium dosing, Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime dripped out of a 5 gallon bucket with ridgid tubing and airline tubing with a fine adjustable drip knot at the end. 3 400W 14K MH lighting it, no skimmer now, but on the fence. Subsrate is 4 inches of caribe sea special grade I think it was called in the DT and refugium with a big ball 'o chaeto. Flow is 4 drilled/hacksawed MJ 1200's on the first controller ever hacked from stone! Two Mag12's in the sump spitting it back. As far as rock, hit up a few reefers to get some diversity, I've got some if you want. Thinice, where 'ya been? How's the frags and the new job? John

I had a 150gallon tank setup for a few months,i used a 55gallon as a sump,as for lighting and not wanting a chiller your plan of 250MH+T5 should be fine.I was lucky and bought Live rock locally and never had any sort of pests.I am getting back into reefing,so this time i will use a single MH or all T5's,not sure yet.Your 120 has great dimensions,so search and you'll find alot of info.

Look into wld1783's rock. It is 2.50 a pound for dry rock, but this rock has great character.

Your stand looks really nice, but you may find after you set the tank up that it helps to have larger openings into the cabinet.

That stand looks freekin' awesome. Great job.

Thanks!

I had a 150gallon tank setup for a few months,i used a 55gallon as a sump,as for lighting and not wanting a chiller your plan of 250MH+T5 should be fine.I was lucky and bought Live rock locally and never had any sort of pests.I am getting back into reefing,so this time i will use a single MH or all T5's,not sure yet.Your 120 has great dimensions,so search and you'll find alot of info.

Yeah, I am not sure but I may end up just going all t5's so that heat is not an issue. I am just concerned that I might need MH because the tank is 24 inches deep. If I did go with just t5's do you think that 2 54w 48 inch atinics and 2 54w 48 inch daylight would be sufficient to keep sps?

Your stand looks really nice, but you may find after you set the tank up that it helps to have larger openings into the cabinet.

Actually I thought about that when I made the stand. I built it with a large front opening for easy access and the back has a 58 opening so I can easily fit a large tank or rubbermaid tub up to 100g for a sump.

picture.php

Thanks guys. I have spent the day surfing the web...

I think I am going to get a 54w x8 t5 fixture like this one:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...ulb-sunlight-supply-tek-light-t5-fixture.html

I also decided to go with the dry rock.

I am going to get a 75 gallon and make my own sump.

Still have not decided what type of return pump or skimmer i will get. And I really want a tunze or a vortech but they are sooo expensive. I am thinking I will just keep my eye on new threads and try to get some used. I saw someone selling 2 tunzes for 250, but they sold right away... too bad.

looks like it's coming along very nicely.
yea just keep your eyes out in the used equipment forum and here and you'll find a good price on something, just make sure to check the feedback forum before you buy.

Thanks guys. I have spent the day surfing the web...

I think I am going to get a 54w x8 t5 fixture like this one:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...ulb-sunlight-supply-tek-light-t5-fixture.html

I also decided to go with the dry rock.

I am going to get a 75 gallon and make my own sump.

Still have not decided what type of return pump or skimmer i will get. And I really want a tunze or a vortech but they are sooo expensive. I am thinking I will just keep my eye on new threads and try to get some used. I saw someone selling 2 tunzes for 250, but they sold right away... too bad.

Nice Light it wont overheat your tank.

Pufferpunk has had great results with using a 6 Bulb T5.

Bill

Time for an update.

Picked up a 75 gallon for my sump today, I can't believe I fit it in my car.

picture.php

Got a new BRS RODI, mag 18 pump and some other stuff

picture.php

About 100 pounds of dry rock

picture.php

Had to cut holes in my stand, and the supports are in the way. I got the tank on, but it is slightly off center.

picture.php

I am concerned about this small gap in several spots....

picture.php

Here is the flow coming out of each side, the right side was really weak...

picture.php

picture.php

I decided to go with only one tube per side to try to increase the flow, it helped a little. I am going to add vortechs or tunzes later.

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the entire tank with sump

picture.php

Back