New 125 g build

soramsu

So, work has finally begun on setting up my new tank, after about 3 months of reading, planning, reading, buying things, and reading some more....I plan on setting up a full reef tank.

I've gotten a lot of my equipment already. A 125g Perfecto corner flo tank. Unfortunately, I just discovered after un-boxing it that the bottom rim was busted. The local shop is going to help me out on exchanging it, thankfully. I've also gotten a 40 g L tank for the sump, which I'll be adding baffles to for the return/refugium section. I've also purchased a reef octopus xp-2000 skimmer for use in the sump. Still need to get heaters/powerheads, but that will come later. I'm also planning on getting a digital aquatics system to control everything with and for monitoring some of my tank stats.

Also, this will probably be an unpopular choice here, but I'm going with DIY LED lighting from Steve's LED's. I've done plenty of research and fully understand any tradeoffs that exist here. For my application and budget, it's what I'm going with. No bashing, please :fish1: As my tank comes together and I get livestock, I'll keep updates coming with how well the lights are working.

My Dad came to town this week to help with building the stand, and running an additional water line to my theater room (where the tank will go) and adding an independent circuit for the aquarium. Mostly because I didn't want the tank on the same circuit as the theater system, as that was being almost maxed out.

The stand will be made of alder, and will have 2 2'x2' side cabinets on the bottom for additional storage. My Dad designed the whole thing. He's an engineer (as am I, but not as detailed oriented as he is :) ) and ended up with about 20 pages of drawings of cuts, measurements, drawings of joints, etc...it was all pretty impressive. Construction on the stand began this morning, and I'll update with pics as it goes along. Unfortunately, my work schedule is such I couldn't be home to help out during the day this week. He has the tools and experience with woodworking, so I think he'll do okay by himself :)

I've uploaded a few pictures of the stand design, as well as the plumbing/electrical that's been so far. This is my first saltwater tank, and I'm pretty excited about getting it going. :D

Attachments

• page0002.jpg
    page0002.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1
  • page0001.jpg
    page0001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
Adding a few more pictures. The doors we had made, as that's easier to do than building them yourself, and they were only $16 a piece from a local cabinet company. There's also a picture of the tank outline in painter's tape (kind of fallen down) in the room.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 1
It actually is pretty open. I'm going to have one of the doors on the bottom front be a double opening, so I can have easy access, and be able to get the sump in/out if needed. I'm also making it a little taller than most standard stands, for extra space as well. We're finishing up all the cuts tonight, so I'll post pics of that later.

Your in wall cabinet looks very nice :) I wish I had a place to put one in the wall, but I live in a townhome, so all the walls big enough to put the tank are outside walls which have firewalls and are facing neighboring homes. :(

Adding a couple of more pics. The finished patch panel over the electrical/plumbing in the garage. We put a piece of plywood screwed in for easy access if I ever need to get in it again. Also, we finished up all the cuts last night on the wood. Now to put it together :)

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 1
Adding a few more pictures. The doors we had made, as that's easier to do than building them yourself, and they were only $16 a piece from a local cabinet company. There's also a picture of the tank outline in painter's tape (kind of fallen down) in the room.

I don't understand one of the pictures you posted. It shows a PVC pipe coming out of the wall and there is a copper valve connected to it. This has nothing to do with the tank does it? If so your going to remove that valve right? If you don't your tank will be dead in short order. Copper leaching into the tank will be the death of it. Just wondering if I made a wrong assumption I apologize.

It's going to be a nice setup, I am following your build.

It is brass, but yes, it will be replaced eventually. That's going to be tied into a R/O until that I'll be putting in. It's there for the moment to keep my basement from flooding :)

It is brass, but yes, it will be replaced eventually. That's going to be tied into a R/O until that I'll be putting in. It's there for the moment to keep my basement from flooding :)

Sorry, should have realized that was the case. Following along.

Here is my build if your interested. I am doing a 210

Adding a pic of the completed inside of the main cabinet sitting on top ofthe tank. It has a double opening on one side for easy access.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1
I love the dimensions of the 125. My build thread is my homepage in my profile. Feel free to browse for ideas. Good luck!

So the stand is coming along nicely. However, I just thought about supporting the center of the tank. The tank has a plastic support across the center at the bottom. Should I add an extra brace across here to support the plastic center brace? I'm thinking this shouldn't be required, but not really sure.

My tanks original stand had 2x4's on theirs sides creating a framing affect. No center support whatsoever.

We finished up construction on the stand yesterday, and put the thank on it in place for a test fit. Everything is perfect! Hopefully this week I'll have time to stain and finish it. I got the new tank from the fish store yesterday. I ended up with an aqueon tank. I like the placement of the overflow plumbing on this one better than the corner flo tank I had before.

Attachments

• 193092_760018030876_26500880_38776862_2711423_o.jpg
    193092_760018030876_26500880_38776862_2711423_o.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1
I've finally finished the stand! It took so long since I tried many times to stain/finish the stand so you could see the wood. Apparently, I'm not cut out to be a furniture re-finisher haha. So...I ended up going with painting it all black. I think it looks good in the room though, and I'm really happy with it. I have plenty of room underneath for the sump, and anything additional I'd want to add. The side cabinets open into the main cabinet for extra room as well.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. Now I get to move on to getting the plumbing done, and adding baffles to the sump tank. :fish1:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg