New 180 Gallon Build

Orionxr78

Hi Everyone, :wavehand:

I am new to this hobby and this is my first post. I've been doing some research on 180 gal (72x24x24) tanks and I am close to pulling the trigger on a starphire tank from glasscages or an acrylic visio tank. I would like to build a LPS reef aquarium.

Any thoughts on these two tanks or suggestions on going another route?

I have also looked into Reef Savvy as they were recommended on this forum but they quoted me more than double the price of the tanks I have been looking at. Way too expensive for my wallet.

Welcome to the hobby and to reef central.

Reef Savvy quoted you double because its twice as good. But glass cages will serve you well if you decide to go that route. Have you looked at Craigslist or any local fish stores in your area. Some stores will want way to much but you might find a gem that is willing to deal with you. There is one near me that has very competitive prices and the tanks are beautiful.

One note on glass cages some people have reported having to scrape off excess silicone because they laid it on to thick. Just giving you a heads up.

You may want to look at SCAQARIUMS. com Seems more affordable for a complete system minus lights and power heads. But Reef Savvy would be sweet!

Welcome to the hobby and to reef central

Thank you whosurcaddie! :)
I have looked at craigslist but I have heard some horror stories and youre not really sure what you are buying.
The stores I have come across so far wont budge on their tank prices.
I have heard/seen the silicone issue with the glasscages tanks. You would think this would be something they would resolve since there have been many posts/reviews on the same issue.

You may want to look at SCAQARIUMS. com Seems more affordable for a complete system minus lights and power heads. But Reef Savvy would be sweet!

Thanks 915MANG!
I have never heard of these guys but the tanks look really nice and their prices are not bad either. I have contacted them to see if they can do a 180 tank.

No problem! I know they started with the skimmers, and have moved into tanks. Id buy one if I didnt already have 2,lol

915MANG...so they do not have the size that I am looking for. I did some more research and I think I am going with an acrylic tank.

Does anyone know of any acrylic tank companies that wont break the bank?

truvuaquariums . com will make 180L for you in few weeks below 1k with corner overflows if you bargain with them a little. It's a good tank and lifetime warranty but... if you have ability to install glass tank - go with glass. It's harder to install due to it's weight but at the end you'll like it more since glass isn't easy to scratch. With 180 you might want to install starphire though it's more soft then regular glass and easier to scratch.

glass has less scratch, glass is easier to maintain/clean, glass looks better in long term.. imo

acrylics are safe against earthquakes aka aquascaping falling.. then you have to deal with cleaning algae with plastic scrapers..

truvuaquariums . com will make 180L for you in few weeks below 1k with corner overflows if you bargain with them a little.

Thanks danil I will check into them a little more. Looks like $1350 on their site right now for a 180 reef tank.

Back