New 40g reef tank

Daneek155

In Memoriam
Hello, I am in the proscess of setting up my 40 g reef tank. This is going to be my first saltwater tank. I would like for you guys to help me through the set-up and give me advice. Thanks.

I'm using Carib sea aragonite sand planning on 2.5 inch in front and about 4 inch in the back.
Starting off with no sump but will add in later.
Using a fluval 305 canister filter
Compact light with 2 65 watt bulbs temp till I get better light

I will post some pictures this evening

I would suggest taking the sand bed down to less than 2" unless you have a specific animal that you are trying to keep that requires that deep of a bed. In that size tank, without a protein skimmer, you stand a good chance of that sand bed depth causing you problems. Honestly I would keep it closer to an incha and vacuuum it now and then.

Other than that, realize that you are not working with a lot of water and going sumpless and skimmeless will limit the number of fish and feeding and increase the maintenance on your end.

The power compacts may also cause you some temperature issues so you may want to add a fan to your list.

I would suggest taking the sand bed down to less than 2" unless you have a specific animal that you are trying to keep that requires that deep of a bed. In that size tank, without a protein skimmer, you stand a good chance of that sand bed depth causing you problems. Honestly I would keep it closer to an incha and vacuuum it now and then.

Other than that, realize that you are not working with a lot of water and going sumpless and skimmeless will limit the number of fish and feeding and increase the maintenance on your end.

The power compacts may also cause you some temperature issues so you may want to add a fan to your list.

Thanks.
I will be adding a skimmer soon and a sump later down and try to get my hands on led lights.
The reason for the deeper sand I've been reading that 3 to 4 inche beds can create a good live sand environment as in filtration, correct me if I'm wrong on the idea.
I do have a little marine land single bright 24 inch led light would be ok for just fish and rock in the beganing

89351A21-76D8-45E3-B834-4A6DE474CE47-928-000000DEE31251C4.jpg

So I added my water today around 6 pm I mixed 5 gal at a time and poured it in. I followed the direction on the salt 1/2 cup per gallon... I checked my hydrometer and it is high 1.028
89351A21-76D8-45E3-B834-4A6DE474CE47-928-000000DEE31251C4.jpg
[/IMG]

so i added 2 yellow tail damsels 2 weeks ago. they are still really skittish. one hides in the rocks and one is always under the heater.they do come out to eat. mi have 3 hermits and 3 nassauraus snails in the tank as well. water perimiters are good.

ph 8.0
phosphate .5
nitrates 5
ammonia 0
nitrite 0

i did not test after yesterdays water change. any ideas why they are so skittish
20121007_213520.jpg

Damsels are a bad idea. They are very aggressive fish and are near impossible to remove once your tank cycles without removing everything in the tank.. A dead small shrimp is much better to cycle the tank with.. I would remove the Damsels and use dead shrimp....

did the tank cycle yet? fish-in-cycle is cruel despite how "rude" of a fish damsels can be...besides that fact, good luck adding other fish to the tank without aggression issues from the damsels, my buddy had a blue devil damsel and it killed even fish 3 times its size from bullying them.

Back