18.jpg

19.jpg

Lights are a do-it-yourself 2- 24watt 10K 50/50's
17.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

24.jpg

23.jpg

Looks nice. Is that AC running yet, and if so how is the substrate not being sucked up?!! Oh and why did you have the pen on the back of it?

AIMFish - The AC110 is up and running and is really working great. My first time using an Aqua Clear product and I like it already. I'm not sure about the pen, it's gone now....

Nice start.
What do you plan to keep in this bad boy?
If you don't mind me asking could you list prices of what you have put in so far?
Happy reefing to you

so is it going to be more of a FOWLR tank? Or will you add more LR?

All in all it really spruced up the desk.

How much did you end up spending on all of it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7570344#post7570344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ShY
Nice start.
What do you plan to keep in this bad boy?
If you don't mind me asking could you list prices of what you have put in so far?
Happy reefing to you

All and all i've spent around 400 on everything, plus the building of the hood. I'm planning on keeping corals: zoos, candy cane, mushrooms/ricordea, xenia, and others.... Fish wise, i'm still not sure.

shouldabenacowboy and Pico Keeper

Could i see some pics of your setups. I'm really liking how mine is turning out. If i can just keep the sand from blowing around the tank i think i will do fine.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7571734#post7571734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by super-cichlid
so is it going to be more of a FOWLR tank? Or will you add more LR?

All in all it really spruced up the desk.

How much did you end up spending on all of it?

Look at the first couple of replys and you will see what i'm planning on doing to the tank. Thanks for the comments on the desk. I agree it makes it look a lot better.

Here are some pics of my 5.5 you requested.....they are not the greatest but they give you an idea.....

Whole tank shot (about a month ago)
100_0597.jpg

Pic of the stock PC lighting I stole out of a broken AquaPod
100_0600.jpg

An inside look.....you can see my auto-topoff float switches I mounted to a piece of 1/2" pvc which hangs off of the top of the tank.
100_0598.jpg

My AC110 is mod'ed to be a fuge but I have not put anything inside it yet but a carbon insert and my heater. I am waiting for a friend to give me some LR rubble to throw in there. I got some great information from these links:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=679159
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=601201

My auto-topoff is pretty simple...2 float switches, an old air pump, a relay and an empty 2 liter bottle. I put my switches in series to help prevent any type of flood.

Here are some pics taken yesterday (before my camera took a dump) of some new frags I got this weekend....
100_0589.jpg

100_0596.jpg

100_0603.jpg

100_0602.jpg

100_0601.jpg

Hope this helps...when I get camera back up and running I'll post some more pics

SBC

shouldabenacowboy - Have you done any mods to the AC500 to cut down on the flow? I"m having trouble keeping my sand from blowing everywhere. Just running the basic setup on it now. Carbon filter and sponge.

I had the same problems with sand blowing around and I could not find a solution posted anywhere. What I ended up doing is removing half of the blades on the impeller. I was nervous about doing this but I had a spare impeller laying around so I figured I had nothing to lose. I read somewhere that someone tried trimming the blades down, to make them smaller, but ended up making the impeller assembly off balance and it made lots of noise. After I removed the blades I was quite surprised to watch it prime right up and start moving water without a sound.

I can not give an number of how much water it moves now,but it does move less water as my sand does not blow around anymore. I also believe I have enough flow for this small tank.

ACMOD.jpg

Hope this helps :)

SBC

shouldabenacowboy - How easy is it to get to the impeller to do this and how did you remove the blades? What tools did you use. Thanks

Back